Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Tinkerbell Boiler Dimensions

chrislindop

Topics: 1

Replies: 4

Posted: Tue 17th Apr 2012, 11:45am
Tinkerbell Boiler Dimensions

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can give me the basic dimensions for a tinkerbell boiler. I'm looking for length, height/width/depth of firebox, barrel diameter or better still a simple outline drawing.

Cheers, Chris

Replies To This Post

WembleyLion

Topics: 2

Replies: 34

Posted: Wed 18th Apr 2012, 8:07am

I have an original Minimum Gauge Railways drawing of the marine boiler for Tinkerbelle.

The barrel tube is 12 ¾” o/d x 3/8” wall x 24 ½” long.
The furnace tube is 8” o/d x ¼” wall x 14” long.
The dome tube is 8”o/d x ¼” wall x 11 ½” overall length.
All the plates are ½” thick but the dome ring is 5/8” thick.

John

colinedmondson

Topics: 3

Replies: 82

Posted: Wed 18th Apr 2012, 4:47pm

Are you thinking of fitting one to your garrett, Chris, or is there another project on the go?

Peter Beevers

Replies: 134

Posted: Wed 18th Apr 2012, 5:38pm

Chris,
It depends if you mean the marine boiler as drawn by Roger Marsh, or the locomotive boiler. The locomotive boiler has the same outer shell dimensions (12.75" diameter, 24.5" long, 10mm wall), but typically has a firebox protruding 3-3.5" below the barrel, and is 12" long (outside). There is no 'standard' locomotive boiler, you would have to speak to one of the boiler manufacturers to see exactly what they would build for you.
The pair of tinkerbells I have just completed have boilers by Andy Bennett, an I can pass more dimensions to you if required.
Regards,
Peter

chrislindop

Posted: Thu 19th Apr 2012, 8:03pm

Hi All,
Thanks for the replies. John, thanks for the offer, I will consider it as an option. Colin, yes i've been thinking about a tink boiler for the Garratt. Think its the same sort of size, but need to do some more calculations with the extra information posted. John, yes more than likely a loco type boiler would be more suited, didn't realize there were two types. Again, thanks for the offer, I might follow this up, once I have an idea of whether or not it will fit.

Cheers, Chris

WembleyLion

Posted: Fri 20th Apr 2012, 8:15pm

Chris,

With regard to the Tinkerbelle marine boiler for your Garratt loco.

Roger Marsh designed Tink. with a marine boiler to cut the costs associated with such a large loco. When Roger designed Tink, some 30 years ago now, it was the first 7 1/4 loco to carry the driver on the footplate and was a giant compared with other 7 1/4 locos running at that time.
The marine boiler was probably half the cost of an equivalent size loco boiler and likewise the marine boiler has only about half the firebox surface area of a loco boiler. So, unfortunately, in its original form Tink. was not a really a success in that it was difficult to maintain steam pressure for the locos 2 1/2” x 4 1/4” cylinders and is the reason why a loco type boiler is usually chosen by those persons building Tinks. today.

That said, I have a loco with a “Sweet William” steel marine boiler and find that if I use anthracite beans, little and often to keep the coal flaring, it steams OK but big lumps of domestic coal are definately not suitable for this boiler.

Hope this helps with your choice of boiler.

John

chrislindop

Posted: Mon 23rd Apr 2012, 8:41pm

Hi John,
Thanks for your info. More than likely it will be the loco type of boiler. Been talking to our boiler inspector at our club and he's thrown a few options into the pot as ways forward.

Cheers, Chris

WembleyLion

Posted: Tue 24th Apr 2012, 10:27am

Hi Chris,

Please can you confirm that you do not now require the Tinkerbelle drawings I offered?
I ask because another member is interested in the drawings if you can not use them.

John

chrislindop

Posted: Tue 24th Apr 2012, 12:12pm

Apologies John. Forgot all about them. No, don't think I will need them now, as I think the way forward is to find the drawings for the loco type boiler (If they exist). I Appreciate you holding onto them for me, but feel free to pass them onto someone who needs them.

Cheers, Chris

Peter Beevers

Replies: 134

Posted: Tue 24th Apr 2012, 2:57pm

Chris,
There is no such thing as 'the' locomotive boiler for a Tinkerbell. In these highly regulated days, each boiler maker who makes them has their own, which they have had certified to the relevant level. That is not a cheap (or simple) process, therefore they keep them to themselves.
All the ones I know of are very similar - 24.5" long, 12.75" diameter barrel, 12" outside length firebox, but you would have to decide on a builder for it and contact them for other details.
For the two I last had built, I made several changes because the 'standard' design wasn't suitable - I prefer a top feed and the 'standard' firehole door (at a measly 3" diameter) was useless.
If you want more details, just let me know
Peter

WembleyLion

Posted: Wed 25th Apr 2012, 6:52pm

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

Best regards. John

colinedmondson

Replies: 82

Posted: Thu 26th Apr 2012, 7:28pm

Chris, have you seen the boiler on ebay?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steel-Boiler-7-5-inch-gauge-4-inch-scale-/170825788580?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item27c602aca4

chrislindop

Posted: Mon 30th Apr 2012, 6:57pm

Hi Colin, Yes I did notice it on ebay. It's for a Hunslet, which the barrell is a lot smaller in diameter than a tink boiler.

Cheers, Chris

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot