« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Tinkerbell and Thomas II Drawings

Martyhuck

Topics: 1

Replies: 6

Posted: Mon 6th Nov 2017, 2:49pm
Tinkerbell and Thomas II Drawings

Are these drawings still available? I have a chance to buy a Tinkerbell chassis but the only drawing they have is the erection drawing. Also, I always liked the looks of the Thomas II. I have old copies of the 7 1/4 News with the Fincken ads. What has happened with those designs?

Replies To This Post

Peter Beevers

Topics: 3

Replies: 134

Posted: Mon 6th Nov 2017, 4:19pm

Yes, they are available, from Maidstone Engineering.

Personally, unless the chassis has roller bearings throughout then I'd start from a clean sheet of paper. They're dead easy to build.

Mick

Topics: 7

Replies: 114

Posted: Mon 6th Nov 2017, 4:59pm

Drawings for Thomas 2 are available from Rod Burnley. I am building a 2-4-2 version, apart from the pony truck and cab, everything is to Rod's drawings.

Martyhuck

Posted: Mon 6th Nov 2017, 5:16pm

Thank You Peter and Mick. I have a set of each on order from Maidstone. Mick, do you have contact info for Rod Burnley?

Peter Beevers

Posted: Mon 6th Nov 2017, 9:20pm

Another caveat - unless it's been extended from the drawings, don't touch it if you're over 5' 6" tall. Unless you view toasting your knees on the firebox a good hobby, of course.
I build mine with 6" extra in the length, although I do steal some of that back to make a proper bunker at the back.
Another caveat - unless it's been extended from the drawings, don't touch it if you're over 5' 6" tall. Unless you view toasting your knees on the firebox a good hobby, of course.
I build mine with 6" extra in the length, although I do steal some of that back to make a proper bunker at the back.

Mick

Topics: 7

Replies: 114

Posted: Tue 7th Nov 2017, 7:54am

Email me at micksavage@talktalk.net and I will pass you Rod's details

Martyhuck

Posted: Fri 17th Nov 2017, 4:26pm

Well, I did end up buying the Tinkerbell chassis. Oh, and they found the drawings. Here is a pictures of it where I picked it up
Well, I did end up buying the Tinkerbell chassis. Oh, and they found the drawings. Here is a pictures of it where I picked it up

Martyhuck

Posted: Fri 17th Nov 2017, 4:27pm

And here it is in my shop
And here it is in my shop

Martyhuck

Posted: Fri 17th Nov 2017, 4:27pm

Another view
Another view

Martyhuck

Posted: Sun 19th Nov 2017, 6:43pm

Peter, did you use the launch boiler? Or build a conventional boiler?
I am planning on extending it - I can't even get just my shoe in the footwell!

Peter Beevers

Posted: Sun 19th Nov 2017, 7:43pm

My opinion is (and always has been) to use a loco boiler, not the marine one as drawn. The latter is simple to build but can be challenging to work with. The loco boiler will supply you with plenty of steam, and be a joy to work with.
And yes, get out your angle grinder and cut and shut the rear end. With a tink, the wayshaft is always in the way of your feet - but more room never did any harm!!!

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot