« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Walschaerts design simulation program by Prof. Hall

Little Hunslet

Topics: 4

Replies: 12

Posted: Thu 15th May 2014, 3:33pm
Walschaerts design simulation program by Prof. Hall

I am designing Walschaerts valvegear for my Romulus loco using this simulation program. I have never designed valvegear before and thought I was getting on well until I started to draw out the linkages etc. after the program had worked out the various lengths. My problem is that you are asked to enter the length of the return crank in the "data entry" section and then after pressing "get results" the program calculates the length of the eccentric rod and the length of the return crank (which is now much longer than in data entry section). If anyone has used this program and has an answer I would really appreciate it.

Replies To This Post

gerryclarke

Topics: 5

Replies: 10

Posted: Mon 19th May 2014, 11:17pm

I have used Professor Hall’s valve gear simulator and the problem you are encountering may have a simple explanation. The return crank information required in the Data entry section is probably the pitch radius. The program calculates from the input information, but only when you go to the ‘get results’ and enter a reverse arm angle. You will notice in the Data entry section you are prompted to enter all the relevant information except for the eccentric rod length and one of the return crank dimensions. When you get a result by entering a reverse arm angle you will notice the program has equalised the leads, and calculated the rest of the necessary information. I hope this is of some help to you.
Gerry Clarke

Little Hunslet

Topics: 4

Replies: 12

Posted: Thu 22nd May 2014, 9:04am

Thank you Gerry, that is the missing piece in the puzzle. I was fairly confident that I had all the dimensions correct and with your answer it has all fallen into place. I can now start to cut metal!

Many thanks Pete King

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot