« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Weir Pump

Simon J

Topics: 9

Replies: 11

Posted: Mon 21st Feb 2011, 8:59pm
Weir Pump

I'm toying with the idea of fitting a Weir pump to my Romulus (so, narrow gauge outline and 'chunky') for a 'fun' way of getting water into the boiler. I've had a quick Google around and there seem to be a couple of possible candidates; a) Polly Models (not currently in stock and possibly no longer manufactured?), b) Reeves 'Borderer' design although the castings seem very expensive, c) a design from Southworth Engines (was this the one that was serialised in ME?) and d) a Stuart boiler pump (at least one reviewer commented that 50% of models assembled don't work and the other 50% don't provide much 'pump').

Does anyone have any experience or comments on fitting a Weir/donkey pump in our scale?

Thanks.

Simon J

Replies To This Post

malcolmcarroll

Topics: 0

Replies: 21

Posted: Tue 22nd Feb 2011, 1:21pm

Dear Simon,
I had a "Southworth" version on my first TINKER, beautifully made by a friend, and it worked very well. Another friend here in SW France made a "Southworth" from the same drawings, having converted them to metric first. It works impeccably on his 7.25" (184mm) ALCO. His boiler is 24 litres capacity, W.pressure 7 bars (100psi approx), and the pump doodles away at very low pressure. Mine, too, was super, and I am about to fit it to my new TINKER. It really does make a difference, seeing it idle away, whilst you are stationary. But although no engineer, I think its construction may be akin to brain surgery...

Best wishes,

Malcolm Carroll

Simon J

Topics: 9

Replies: 11

Posted: Wed 23rd Feb 2011, 9:07am

Malcolm,

Thanks for your reply - I've found out that Mainsteam offer a ready assembled version of the 6" Southworth pump. Perhaps I can ask for an early birthday present...

Regards,

Simon

malcolmcarroll

Topics: 0

Replies: 21

Posted: Fri 25th Feb 2011, 10:58am

Dear Simon,
Why not ask for a pair, in the hope that you might get one? Or try the rolling anniversary ploy: birthdays, Christmas, Easter, Granny's third wedding, and so on?

Malcolm

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot