« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Wooden Coach Chassis

billhaywood

Topics: 17

Replies: 30

Posted: Thu 4th Jul 2013, 5:55pm
Wooden Coach Chassis

Has anyone used wood for construction of chassis for passenger carrying rolling stock.
Some form of drawings may be useful.

Replies To This Post

Mick

Topics: 7

Replies: 114

Posted: Fri 5th Jul 2013, 5:47pm

Hi Bill, by coincidence I just received my Live Steam and Outdoor Railroading magazine from the USA today and there is an article in it on this very topic. You may be able to get a copy from Camden, if not get in touch and I will try to photocopy the article for you.

coalyardrly

Topics: 6

Replies: 14

Posted: Sat 13th Jul 2013, 11:21am

Some of our coaches have wooden frames. 15mm ply base with 33" or4"x2" between the bogie centres to prevent saging. Use thin steel for bogie centres and rubbing plates on suspension. Abbots Model engineerind use a MDF box for their mark 1 coaches without a steel underframe.

Chris Stockdale

Topics: 2

Replies: 7

Posted: Sat 13th Jul 2013, 12:12pm

Hi Bill,

It occurs to me that the late Patrick Henshaw used wood for just about everything. It might be worth having a word with his son David ( not a member, but editor of Miniature Railway magazine, grab his email from their website).

Cheers,

Chris

Mike

Topics: 2

Replies: 20

Posted: Tue 16th Jul 2013, 9:06pm

My 2-seat coach is wooden framed, with a foot well between the seats. I may have to add a piece of steel plate in the well for center of gravity, but otherwise I think it will work fine.

Mike

Narrowgauge7.25

Topics: 16

Replies: 107

Posted: Tue 16th Jul 2013, 9:11pm

The sit inside guards van I built has wooden chassis, the only problem is a lack of weight low down. As long as the guard doesn't lean out it is fine, however when one does it don't half rock about!

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot