« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

boiler / smokebox sealant

Howard9f

Topics: 5

Replies: 5

Posted: Fri 8th Sep 2017, 9:23pm
boiler / smokebox sealant

I am about to assemble my smoke box and boiler on my 9F for the final time. Whilst the two parts are a good fit, to ensure an air-tight seal can anyone suggest a suitable sealant. I would have thought these days there must be some thing better than using old-fashioned fire clay. Many thanks.

Replies To This Post

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Sun 10th Sep 2017, 10:57am

I've not found a need for an absolute seal with a well fitting smoke-box. The lagging and the cleading sheets will provide a fair restriction on any small seepage. Having said that I don't tend to play with Std. gauge, only narrow gauge. There may be a difference down to overall size.

Bob G.

Howard9f

Posted: Sun 10th Sep 2017, 12:23pm

Thanks Bob. The fit between the two is good, but i doubt air tight, so some sealant would ensure a good seal.

Denis Mulford

Topics: 4

Replies: 24

Posted: Sun 10th Sep 2017, 5:22pm

I have used a product called Plumba Flue, or similar and I think you can get it from Wickes or a decent plumbing supplier.
It, if I remember, is used to replace the fire cement. Comes in the usual silicon tube.

Give it a google and see if it is what you want.

Denis Mulford

Howard9f

Posted: Sun 10th Sep 2017, 8:13pm

Thanks Denis, I will have a search. I don't want to use old fashioned fire cement as it eventually cracks.
Regards
Howard

cookieboy

Topics: 0

Replies: 1

Posted: Sun 24th Sep 2017, 9:23pm

Hi. I know several builders that use Geocel Plumba Flue - silicone sealant.  Suitable for up to 300 C. I hope the picture loads up ok.  Please remember to use gloves when applying as it seems rather unfriendly to skin.  
I have used on my Holmside and so far so good.....
Hi. I know several builders that use Geocel Plumba Flue - silicone sealant. Suitable for up to 300 C. I hope the picture loads up ok. Please remember to use gloves when applying as it seems rather unfriendly to skin.
I have used on my Holmside and so far so good.....

Little Hunslet

Topics: 4

Replies: 12

Posted: Tue 26th Sep 2017, 6:25pm

Howard, This is the one I now use and it's easy to find on eBay.
Everbuild heatmate silicon sealant available in black or red. I guess it's much the same as the one above.
Regards Pete King

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot