Forum Options

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

drawings and castings for an a3 who makes them??

pez

Topics: 2

Replies: 3

Posted: Thu 17th May 2012, 9:11pm
drawings and castings for an a3 who makes them??

hi,was wondering if anyone can shed some light on this please?

after seeing a few photos on here of an a3 'prince palatine' and another 'flying fox'.
i was wondering who makes the drawings and castings for them?
from the photos ive seen,they dont look like the old greenly designs.

thanks in advance.

Replies To This Post

donaldcottle

Topics: 1

Replies: 31

Posted: Sat 19th May 2012, 9:39pm

Pez, There is a part built one for sale on the;- ' steam-engines-for-sale ' website. Why don't you contact him? (There is a telephone No.) Furthermore the seller should be able to give you vital information on it, even if you don't want his one. I know Clarkson of York used to do it according to an old catalogue I had, I can't confirm the gauge though, however I know from a friend who built one, that some of the vital dimensions were not on the drawings he purchased. Therefore he had to work them out for himself, (they ceased trading long ago)!
If you can make do & use smaller gauge drawings, either Blackgates, or A.J.Reeves according to my old catalogues, did versions. One firm supplied 3.1/2"g,dwgs. & castings, whilst the other supplied them in 5" gauge, I will leave that to you to find out! I know Don Youngs drawings were used by one of them for their version. I don't know if Chris Finken still does drawings, or castings,(or is even still in business), but I have a feeling he might have done either class of loco.at one time. Anyway he had access to a very wide range of designs at one time. There may be other suppliers around, but I have not kept my suppliers catalogues up-to-date.

pez

Topics: 2

Replies: 3

Posted: Sun 20th May 2012, 1:17pm

thanks for your reply donald,much appreciated.

the clarksons drawings were for 5 inch gauge,my old man actually part built one of their a3 designs,before selling it on.
good idea about asking the seller of the one on that website,i,ll chase it up.

thanks again,pez.

ennech

Topics: 0

Replies: 2

Posted: Sat 23rd Feb 2013, 11:38am

I may be able to produce castings for the 71/4 inch version if their is a demand

tonybickerstaffe

Replies: 1

Posted: Tue 26th Feb 2013, 9:11pm

Blackgates can supply castings for A3 - A4 as they have Micheal Breez paterns (I think i got his name right) I think they have 5" drawings you can scale up. I have some castings from these paterns and they are exellent. They are also true scale and not 1-1/2" to the foot.

Modernity

Replies: 1

Posted: Thu 9th Jan 2014, 5:02am

Ennech, What would the demand need to be?

I need two sets of 7.25 A4 castings if anyone can help!

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot