« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

firebox arch/deflector

howard snowden

Topics: 5

Replies: 5

Posted: Thu 21st Aug 2014, 4:45pm
firebox arch/deflector

Does anyone have any experience with fitting a deflector in a 71/4" gauge steam loco, this would be in lieu of a brick arch on a full size loco. I am contemplating fitting a heavy duty stainless steel plate as a deflector. Any experiences or advice would be welcome.

Replies To This Post

pauledmonds

Topics: 1

Replies: 3

Posted: Fri 22nd Aug 2014, 4:29pm

Howard
I fitted one many years ago - first I went for stainless steel 6mm plate - that lasted maybe 2 years and cost a fair bit.
Then I decided to go for normal mild steel 6mm plate - cost me a lot less and lasts about 18 months.
My plate sits on some lugs welded to the inside of the firebox and is quite easy to get in/out.
Depending on how low the tubes are to the fire then it does help stop the bottom tube row from filling up with coal and probably stops the ends getting burned as well.
It depends on what loco you have - my experience is based on a 7 1/4 gauge K36.
Paul

MartynRedfearn

Topics: 16

Replies: 107

Posted: Sat 23rd Aug 2014, 6:09pm

There is a very good article in Facebook - Backyard Railroading https://www.facebook.com/groups/backyardrailroading/permalink/693330824076268/
There is a very good article in Facebook - Backyard Railroading https://www.facebook.com/groups/backyardrailroading/permalink/693330824076268/

Old Baldy

Topics: 0

Replies: 4

Posted: Sat 6th Sep 2014, 10:31pm

Hi Howard
I played quite a bit with a steel 'brick arch'. I think it rather depends on the loco and it's duty cycle as to whether it is effective. I had a Maxitrak Li'le Jo locomotive. Basically a large 5 inch loco gauged to 7 1/4. I added weight and improved it's power with a lempor type nozzle and ended up with a loco capable of pulling two 8 foot sit astride coaches and a guards truck. Unfortunately half the fire used to end up in the smokebox.
So I added the arch.
This was made from 3mm stainless. Normal 3mm steel didn't last at all. A tip. Put a bent lip on it to stop it warping!
I also added a pinhole grate, and over fire air. Absolutely fantastic! You got a fireball over the fire that heated the back of the firebox as well as the front. 
If you want more info I have an article I wrote for the Maxitrak magazine. I can get this onto a webpage for you to look at.
My present loco has a marine type boiler, so it has its own deflector as standard.
Cheers
Peter Griffiths
Hi Howard
I played quite a bit with a steel 'brick arch'. I think it rather depends on the loco and it's duty cycle as to whether it is effective. I had a Maxitrak Li'le Jo locomotive. Basically a large 5 inch loco gauged to 7 1/4. I added weight and improved it's power with a lempor type nozzle and ended up with a loco capable of pulling two 8 foot sit astride coaches and a guards truck. Unfortunately half the fire used to end up in the smokebox.
So I added the arch.
This was made from 3mm stainless. Normal 3mm steel didn't last at all. A tip. Put a bent lip on it to stop it warping!
I also added a pinhole grate, and over fire air. Absolutely fantastic! You got a fireball over the fire that heated the back of the firebox as well as the front.
If you want more info I have an article I wrote for the Maxitrak magazine. I can get this onto a webpage for you to look at.
My present loco has a marine type boiler, so it has its own deflector as standard.
Cheers
Peter Griffiths

howard snowden

Topics: 5

Replies: 5

Posted: Tue 9th Sep 2014, 9:11am

Thanks to all the respondents to my query. As you can appreciate the firebox of a 71/4" g 9F is quite big and I was thinking of using a very thick piece of 316 SS, say 10mm thick or even better a pieced of fire brick, but holding this in place is the issue as you can imagine. Certainly a refractory material would be preferable to any metal. I will keep you posted with what I end up doing. Once again thanks to you all. Howard

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot