« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

first loco

ld

Topics: 3

Replies: 3

Posted: Sun 5th Jun 2011, 6:26pm
first loco

ihave just joined the seven and a quarter society and millerbeck light railway and i am looking for a diesel or electric loco what is not to excpencive (between £1000 and £ 1750) what can go up gradients from 1 in 50.

but what type of loco is the best to start of with. (class and desighn)

thanks lewis devitt

Replies To This Post

Rob Walker

Topics: 6

Replies: 12

Posted: Sun 5th Jun 2011, 11:07pm

first of all welcome to the society im sure you will find it enjoyable.

i have no ties with this company at all but what about the project loco 2 from pheonix i have seen the loco at the model engineering exhibitions and they look good for the money with a 1hp motor which is usually the norm for electric loco's. everything is powder coated with a choice of colour's and transfers, the kit has to be bolted together which they say takes a weekend, but everything you need is in the kit, even the wiring looms are done for you, all you need to do is assemble the kit, buy the batteries and charger and you have your self a runner.

our club has the original project loco and its a great engine, and is built very well indeed, and looking at this one they have improved on an already impressive loco

http://phoenixlocos.com/products/projectloco2/spec/

http://phoenixlocos.com/gallery/album/projectloco2/

you could buy a second hand one but sometimes you could be paying around the same price (with no warranty) and more often then not more than what you are wanting to spend, and sometimes unless you know what to look for you could end up with something that isn't a very good loco, and could potentially ruin your new found interest in this great hobby plus with a new loco you get 12 months warranty and know its been designed properly.

hope this helps somewhat

Rob

ld

Posted: Mon 6th Jun 2011, 3:59pm

Thank you very much i will have a look and ill let you know how i get on :)

thanks lewis

malcolmcarroll

Topics: 0

Replies: 21

Posted: Tue 7th Jun 2011, 12:36pm

Rob is quite right about good manufacturers providing excellent kit. It's always dreadful holding back one's enthusiasm for a few months, but it does help sometimes to visit other tracks and just ask people about their experiences, both with manufacturers and loco types.

Malcolm
SW France

ld

Posted: Tue 7th Jun 2011, 4:05pm

Thanks Malcome and Rob
at millebeck we have people who build trains for a living so when i next go up i will ask them.

THANKS LEWIS.

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot