« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

heat resistant paint

brianhicks

Topics: 4

Replies: 12

Posted: Mon 7th Apr 2014, 9:33pm
heat resistant paint

i have located heat resistant paint supplied by Williamson Paints of Ripon. Their paint is for 350 to 400 C . Does anyone know what temperatures get up to in our smoke boxes? Anyone got any other sources for this purpose. I've tried paint for stoves but it just burns off

Replies To This Post

rogerbrown

Topics: 6

Replies: 35

Posted: Mon 7th Apr 2014, 10:33pm

Brian

We have used BBQ paint on the smoke boxes of our narrow gauge locos and we have not had any issues with it burning off. I am pretty sure that the one that we used is Rust Oleum 7778 Hard Hat Black Heat Resistant Aerosol Metal Spray Paint and the spec for it is Heat resistance: Standard 600°C (dry heat) Short term peak resistance 750°C (dry heat). It drys to a stain finish which looks OK. If you want a Matt finish then get some exhaust paint
. However I will double check the next time I am at the railway.

Hope that this helps and I also know that you can get brush on paint as well and i will endeavor to post the details of that paint as well

Regards

Roger

Member 1066

brianhicks

Posted: Tue 8th Apr 2014, 11:56am

Thanks for that information Roger.I would prefere a brush application.Your temperature range is twice what I am being offered! I would like a matt finish if possible. Does anyone have an answer to what temperatures are inside and outside our smoke boxes?

Peter Beevers

Topics: 3

Replies: 134

Posted: Tue 8th Apr 2014, 7:13pm

Brian,

I just get the cheapest BBQ spray paint that the local DIY store has with similar temperatures to Roger's. Always worked fine for me. Even though I'm useless with spray paint, the result is far ahead of what I can achieve with a brush.

Temperatures? No idea but when the base of my fire will melt the steel firegrate, my O level physics tells me that's about 1400-1500 centigrade. So, I would not be surprised if the outside of the smokebox was over 200 degrees, and significantly higher inside. All guesswork, of course.

Peter

Bob Pearce

Topics: 0

Replies: 8

Posted: Wed 9th Apr 2014, 1:51pm

Hi Brian,
I have used paint from Halfords for the smokebox on "Mac". I cleaned all the loose paint off first and sprayed it with Halfords Enamel High Temperature Spray Paint Black 300ml which they say is good up to 650 degrees Centigrade. I ran for a couple of season with this but was not happy with the fininsh and colour it was more matt grey rather than black, although I did not have any problems with the paint peeling. Last year I decide to try again with the painting of the smokebox and cleaned and lightly sanded the smokebox before applying several brushed coats of Halfords High Temperature Engine Enamel Paint - Satin Black 250ml, good for up to 300 degrees Centigrade on top of the original sprayed finish, with no paint reaction. This I am now pleased with giving the colour and finish that I was looking for and to dated I have had no problems with any paint peeling off the smokebox.

Best Regards

Bob

Old Baldy

Topics: 0

Replies: 4

Posted: Thu 10th Apr 2014, 9:33pm

Hi there
Have you looked at Craftmaster Paints. They do one or two types of heat resistant paint suitable for Loco work.
Must admit my last loco was American style, and I used Plasti-Kote BBQ spray paint, then rubbed the smokebox with Cast Iron Paste (graphite) used for multi fuel stoves. This gave just the right sheen for the type of loco.

Peter Griffiths

brianhicks

Posted: Fri 11th Apr 2014, 8:58pm

Thanks very much Peter, Bob and Peter! I now feel I have enough information to proceed further.Halfords and BandQ here I come Thanks everyone.

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot