« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

methods of coupling

vulcanworks

Topics: 15

Replies: 21

Posted: Mon 11th Dec 2017, 8:40pm
methods of coupling

I was wondering if anyone had advice on different coupling methods that could be used on rough track ? We currently use bar to couple our coaches, which is proving too ridged under some circumstances and derails coaches sometimes. We're looking at maybe a turnbuckle which could give us a full range of movement, but we're concerned about tension stripping the threads when pulling a loaded coach which could be in excess if 250kg.

Replies To This Post

Mick

Topics: 8

Replies: 147

Posted: Mon 11th Dec 2017, 9:37pm

Have you considered ball end couplings, female threaded ends? If the thread strength is a worry, once you have established the length of round bar, you can weld each end to the coupling. They are easily obtainable, e.g. on ebay. I've seen these used on our gauge of railway.
Have you considered ball end couplings, female threaded ends? If the thread strength is a worry, once you have established the length of round bar, you can weld each end to the coupling. They are easily obtainable, e.g. on ebay. I've seen these used on our gauge of railway.

Peter Beevers

Topics: 3

Replies: 146

Posted: Mon 11th Dec 2017, 9:49pm

You're looking at the problem the wrong way. You need to sort the track out, not bodge round the effects of it.

Mick

Topics: 8

Replies: 147

Posted: Tue 12th Dec 2017, 8:17am

I entirely agree with Peter's comment. At Abbeydale we have zero tolerance of track related derailments. I was just trying to answer the specific query with coupling methods.

MartynRedfearn

Topics: 20

Replies: 136

Posted: Tue 12th Dec 2017, 2:17pm

I would also agree that the track should not be that bad, but what about some clearance on your bar couplings, we did have issues with different height couplings and very close fit bars. Smaller bar sorted it

Railrose

Topics: 2

Replies: 17

Posted: Sat 16th Dec 2017, 10:44pm

In my opinion the coupling bars are often too heavy dimensioned for the purpose. I use steel bar 20x3 mm, coupling pins of 8 mm and drill the holes at 8,5 mm. The coupling gaff on the wagons is 8 mm wide, so the bar, merely a strip, can move quite a bit up and down. In case of an accident, like derailing, the strip wil deform and save the coupling on the wagon or loco from damage. To my surprise wear on the holes in the coupling bar is minimal, even with a load well over a 1000 kgs.
With bar coupling, when the bar is not (almost) horizontal it wil result in lift of the lightest vehicle when pushed or pulled, like change in speed. Something about vectors, all based on experience. Over the years I made all the mistakes, combined them with a lot of thought and found out best practice. On a club track I prefer a buffered coupling system, which is more stable. On my own portable track with 1,8 meter (yes, 6 feet) radius the link and pin works well. Always keep the directon off the forces as horizontal as possible.

I will upload a picture later, it takes a while to find the right one in a stack thousands.

Martyhuck

Topics: 1

Replies: 12

Posted: Tue 19th Dec 2017, 7:58pm

Have you considered using American style knuckle couplers? They deal with vertical misalignment very well.

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot