« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

pattern making

Jordan Leeds

Topics: 3

Replies: 4

Posted: Tue 1st Mar 2011, 12:01am
pattern making

Hi i am looking to start building a few bits of rolling stock and am going to require patterns making for such things as Wheels and Axel boxes and other various items the prototype is 2ft 6 inch gauge however it follows standard gauge practice much closer can anyone recomend any articals or practical advice please.

Replies To This Post

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Tue 1st Mar 2011, 10:30am

Jordan, if you have a local foundary where you will get your patterns cast then go and speak to someone there, show them your drawings etc. and ask advice. In most cases you will find them very helpful. If your foundry isn't close by, then speak to members in your local M.E. Soc, someone there will have done it before. Good luck.

Graham Burhouse

Topics: 4

Replies: 13

Posted: Tue 1st Mar 2011, 5:29pm

Hi Jordan, Have you looked on the Society's website pattern bank to see if there are patterns available there that you could use.

Chris B

Topics: 2

Replies: 17

Posted: Tue 1st Mar 2011, 6:10pm

Hi Jordan.

There are a couple of books in the "workshop Practice Series", "Foundrywork for the Amateur" and "The Backyard Foundry".
These will give an insight into the whole process.

As you saw at last year's AGM the castings I had done for Dougal in 7.25" have come out pretty well from my own patterns. Depending how complex or detailed the items are decides the standard of the pattern. If you just want a lump of metal roughly the right shape to machine up then it is a lot simpler than, say the pattern I made for Dougal's wheels which have holes cast in and a raised face for the crankpin and wheel centre where there is a lot more that needs to be left as cast for the final shape.

That reminds me I haven't really touched Dougal in several months, I must get on with the chimney and cyl patterns.

Cheers

Chris

Jordan Leeds

Posted: Tue 1st Mar 2011, 6:19pm

Thanks gents for your replys they are most apriciated what im looking to make are axebloxes for the Welshpool and llanfair waggons these essentially are 2ft 6" waggons that have standard gauge running gear such as W irons and associated brake gear i shall look to acquire those two titles Chris. once again thanks gents

Chris B

Topics: 2

Replies: 17

Posted: Tue 1st Mar 2011, 6:24pm

Jordan
Probably one or the other title would be sufficient rather than both. You could look at lazer cutting for W irons.
Chris

Jordan Leeds

Posted: Tue 1st Mar 2011, 6:35pm

Indeed thats what i intened to look into for the W Irons also going to produce patterns for the various wheel types too for the other Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway Rolling stock.

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot