« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

wheelchair access coaches?

johndoyle

Topics: 6

Replies: 21

Posted: Sat 5th Nov 2011, 3:37pm
wheelchair access coaches?

We have had a request to transport disabled persons in wheelchairs on the railway here at Halton.

Initial thoughts are the weight and stability issues will limit the size of wheelchair we can accommodate, but has anyone any experience of building or using a wheelchair accessable coach in this gauge?

Any thoughts, experiences, ideas most welcome!

Replies To This Post

Graham Burhouse

Topics: 4

Replies: 13

Posted: Sat 5th Nov 2011, 6:06pm

John, I believe Cromar White sell a wheelchair type wagon. Also leyland club have built one.There are several around. Sorry I can't be more precise hopefully someone else will will be able to give you more info.

colinedmondson

Topics: 3

Replies: 82

Posted: Sat 5th Nov 2011, 10:12pm

I have photos of the Leyland one if you want to give me an email on colin@colinedmondson.com. I am sure that they won't mind sharing their ideas.

trevorcollyer

Topics: 0

Replies: 9

Posted: Sun 6th Nov 2011, 9:41am

We purchased the Leyland Carriage for passengers in wheelchairs direct from Cromar White. It is very stable and well-equipped, but heavy! You are welcome to come and see it if you wish - we're running every Sunday provided it's not pouring with rain. We're also working at the track every Tuesday and some Thursdays. You can see a picture of it on our website http://www.leylandsme.co.uk/

Trevor Collyer Leyland SME.

johndoyle

Topics: 6

Replies: 21

Posted: Mon 7th Nov 2011, 1:17pm

Thanks for the prompt replies! Had a very busy day yesterday with lots of passengers enjoying the park in the sunshine.

Will contact Leyland to find out more.

craiggluyas

Topics: 0

Replies: 10

Posted: Mon 7th Nov 2011, 9:55pm

Hi John,
Brian Howorth has built a very successful one which was in use at Burnley but has been around! It is either articulated to another 6' coach or used alone, Pic here http://www.bpmrs.org.uk/Artic%20Set.html

Craig

johndavies

Topics: 2

Replies: 13

Posted: Sat 12th Nov 2011, 9:36am

Hi john,
["We purchased the Leyland Carriage for passengers in wheelchairs direct from Cromar White. It is very stable and well-equipped, but heavy!"]

It is indeed very stable,
I was involved with the design of the CW wheelchair coach & I use the prototype chassis as a well wagon to transport heavy/awkward stuff - including a 3/4 ton mini 360° excavator - around my railway, never had a tip or derailment !

Speak to Tony Martin @ Cromar White.

john

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot