« Back to Exhibitions, Your Running days & Show reports Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

2014 AGM

George Coles

Topics: 19

Replies: 90

Posted: Wed 19th Mar 2014, 11:14am
2014 AGM

Thanks for the videos - it's nice to see preparations being made so far in advance, and even better to be kept informed of developments. Great publicity too.
Can't wait for the booking forms to appear.
George C

Replies To This Post

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Wed 19th Mar 2014, 2:12pm

Most members will not realise that preparations for an AGM start many YEARS before, typically 4 or even 5. There is a great deal to be thought about and many things may change along the route.

There is somewhat of a shortage of venues because the Society waits until it is invited to consider a particular venue, we don't openly seek them. The club/track is then allocated a Committee member as a liaison and hopefully everything then starts to fall into place.

Things to consider.

Is there sufficient local accommodation for a large number of people.
Overnight storage for locos and rolling stock and trailers etc.
A venue for the AGM Dinner.
Car parking,
How many locos can safely run?

The list runs to a full A4 sheet (both sides), and some of the facilities may need refining before the event, even if the event has been held there before.

One has to say, that for such a great event, the effort is truly worth it.

George Coles

Posted: Wed 19th Mar 2014, 4:00pm

Thanks Bob. I'm sure most of us who have been members for any length of time, even if not as long as your good self, are aware of the forward planning that takes place.
I was congratulating the members of SSMEE on their openness and obvious pride that they WILL be ready on the day!
Best wishes to all involved.
George C

Xz

Posted: Wed 19th Mar 2014, 5:10pm

I agree, hats off to SSMEE. What is more remarkable George, is that SSMEE was not the original venue picked for 2014, and they picked it up late in the day. The other venue had, in the end, too much catching up to do workwise, after the bad weather, and had unfortunately to withdraw. Hopefully they will try again for another year.

ivanhewlett

Topics: 8

Replies: 53

Posted: Thu 20th Mar 2014, 3:43pm

Hi All

I would comment that for me the single most valuable reason for joining, and remaining a member of, the society is the chance to attend the AGM. I have not missed many over the years and always do my best to attend, partly because I love running my engines on different tracks, but also for the banter and friendship that is a huge part of these events.
I know there is a huge amount of behind the scenes work and I am very grateful to all those who participate in pulling the AGM's together.
A further comment would be that I am not in the least bit concerned about the size or nature of venue - as long as we all have a good time. Echills is a fantastic track and that was a bonus in 2010, Teesside is smaller, but I doubt I am alone having fantastic memories of a great weekend and I lost count of the times I went round !
To the SSMEE I say good luck for this years event and to whoever is waiting in the wings for the future I promise I am looking forward to meeting you all.
Here's to the coming season !

Cheers, Ivan.

rogerbrown

Topics: 6

Replies: 35

Posted: Thu 27th Mar 2014, 9:45pm

Ivan

As always a very good respond. I have too managed to attend a fair number of AGM's now. The first one I helped take a loco to was Sutton Coldfield and have been to many since from Scotland, Wales quite a few different ralways in England and across to Belgium just for good measure. Every railway has one thing in common everyone has been made to feel welcome and the hosting railways have fone out of their way to make teh event run as smooth as possible. It is great to meet up with like minded people and importantly swap ideas. This is what is important about OUR Society and long may in continue and hopefully flourish.

Regards and see you at the AGM weekend

Roger Brown

HauteSaoneFrance

Topics: 27

Replies: 91

Posted: Sun 18th May 2014, 11:47am

I'm a little confused ! This thread seems to be indicating that the AGM is at the SSME track in Surrey whereas the events notice says it's on 11th /12th October at the Bath & West Railway in Somerset?

frankcooper

Topics: 9

Replies: 58

Posted: Sun 18th May 2014, 1:25pm

Don't know how SSME has been mentioned. Event is at ESSMEE at Bath and West showground - was there for exhibition 2 weeks ago!

HauteSaoneFrance

Topics: 27

Replies: 91

Posted: Sun 18th May 2014, 6:10pm

Hello Frank, Above are 3 mentions of SSMEE on 19th Mar by George Coles, 19th also by XZ and 20th Mar by Ivan Hewitt, all a bit confusing to a newbie like me.

frankcooper

Topics: 9

Replies: 58

Posted: Mon 19th May 2014, 11:10am

Trouble with people just using initials personally I call the club Bath and West after the venue - which is excellent by the way having been there for last 5 years. Always a good drink and a bacon sandwich in their club room!

ivanhewlett

Topics: 8

Replies: 53

Posted: Mon 19th May 2014, 12:27pm

Hi All
As has been pointed out I helped perpetuate the error of calling the AGM railway the SSMEE, apologies.
Trust me it's not just newcomers who are confused by club namings. In essence the key thing is that the AGM will be at the Bath and West showground, just a bit puzzling that you would not know this from their website ?! They obviously want to keep ESSMEE a very closely guarded secret.

Cheers, and apologies, Ivan

George Coles

Posted: Tue 20th May 2014, 8:14am

Ivan, sorry - I missed the E. Surprised nobody pointed out my error sooner.
I have to agree with Frank that initials can be confusing (and easily misquoted!) How often one sees pictures in the Gallery with just a set of initials attached: obvious to the poster, and meaningless to me.
I have just looked at the ESSMEE web-site. I guess they are concentrating on preparations for the event rather than publicity, as the web-site is promoting the 2013 Open Day. I put the slowness of the connection down to server overload.

Best wishes
George

Xz

Posted: Wed 21st May 2014, 7:54am

It seems I did my bit to perpetuate it as well, as ex-Ed I'll claim a typo!

George Coles

Posted: Thu 19th Jun 2014, 7:05am

Great pics today from the guys at ESSMEE as they prepare for this year's AGM. Good to see a society that can plan ahead. As I wrote before, it's nice to see what is happening, and their obvious pride in their work. I am really looking forward to this. Only another 114 days to go ....

Best wishes
George

georgewhite

Topics: 3

Replies: 12

Posted: Sat 21st Jun 2014, 8:45am

Hi Guys
Just to confuse you further our Societey is East Somerset Societey of Model and Experimental Engineers ESSMEE for short. We operate the Bath & West Railway at the Bath and West Showground, We are also having an open weekend on the 27 - 28 Sept. contact openday@essmee.org.uk

Cheers
George

« Back to Exhibitions, Your Running days & Show reports Topics

Web design by Slingshot