« Back to Exhibitions, Your Running days & Show reports Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Events and emailings

Richard S.

Topics: 6

Replies: 14

Posted: Tue 21st Mar 2017, 10:27pm
Events and emailings

Over the last 6-12 months I've noticed an increase in emails inviting me to various open events. Given that most of these events are advertised on various event pages I'm getting a bit fed up of getting a personal email invite as well. Often these are from younger members of railway, perhaps who are content with receiving numerous 'spam' emails per day. If I want to visit a railway I'll make contact with the host railway!

I wonder what the thoughts of others are on this matter?

Replies To This Post

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Wed 22nd Mar 2017, 8:40am

One could say "nice to be so popular" Richard. I can't say that I'm having the problem, not that I've anything runnable at events at the moment anyway. I think it is just the same with Facebook, Twitter and all this other stuff that we older ones mostly have little (as in no) time for. There is the thought though that perhaps we're missing out a little, but I'm not convinced. Mark them as spam, and check/delete them when you feel you've time.

Bob G

George Coles

Topics: 19

Replies: 90

Posted: Wed 22nd Mar 2017, 9:56am

Richard, all I can say is "lucky you!"

Last year I started a thread on here about the lack of invitation open days on the 'Events' pages of this site. The responses I received could be summarised as "If you want to go somewhere, just ask." But how do I know they are having an open day so that I can ask if I can go? Yes, I know I can probably go even though it isn't their open day, but it's more fun when you meet old friends at a new venue, isn't it?

You write 'most of these events are advertised on various event pages' so could I ask you where these pages are?

I find it strange that clubs list their Public Running Days on our 'Events' pages and not their invitation days.

Incidentally, I find the phrase 'Open Day' is confusing. For many clubs it seems to be the day that they open their gates to the paying public, rather than the 'open to visiting members from other clubs.'

George C

MartynRedfearn

Topics: 16

Replies: 107

Posted: Wed 22nd Mar 2017, 3:42pm

George I list my clubs 'open days' yes these are our public running days because I the main thatvis all my club offers. When we do have something different I always post them too. If and when we run something special I would add to events. In general I never send to email addresses other than club emails.

I find Facebook very useful for info but it all disappears where as the events page here is much more useful as the events are in date order.

Richard S.

Topics: 6

Replies: 14

Posted: Sun 26th Mar 2017, 12:25pm

Thanks for all the comments. Certainly do add such emails to spam list! George, I quite agree with many of your comments about many events being public running days perhaps it is a way of 'hyping up' public running days to get more publicity and/or public. Or perhaps it is just organisers struggling to get enough of their members willing to pull public passenger trains? or club treasurers viewing operating trains without the public is loss making to the club. Couple of thoughts, perhaps if someone is holding a non public event, highlight it! Alternative would be so set a club up where public running will not take place but then would members pay the subs required to cover club overheads and investment, perhaps £200-300 per year. Think I know the answer to that one! Anyway I'll finish this email with mentioning probably my favourite non passenger day, 2-3 hours for ONE lap of Comrie on P-way maintenance, watching red squirrels and deer whilst we worked on a nice sunny August day, magic!

George Coles

Topics: 19

Replies: 90

Posted: Sun 26th Mar 2017, 5:20pm

Hello Richard,

Just for the record the Andover & District Model Engineering Society (http://admes.org.uk) doesn't public run (their tenancy agreement precludes it) and their membership is £40 per annum. And they have a very interesting track which they seem to have extended every time I go. Well worth a visit.

Regards,
George

« Back to Exhibitions, Your Running days & Show reports Topics

Web design by Slingshot