« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

A Question of scale

Jordan Leeds

Topics: 3

Replies: 4

Posted: Tue 1st Mar 2011, 9:48pm
A Question of scale

Now its common that generally 2ft gauge prototype scales down to 2" scale but what of the other gauges ? what do they scale down to for example 2'6" and 3' gauge . Im relatively new to actually constructing scale items normally opting for the freelance approach to stock

Replies To This Post

WembleyLion

Topics: 2

Replies: 34

Posted: Wed 2nd Mar 2011, 11:42am

Normally the size of a loco is in proportion to the track gauge, although this is not always true as some locos are built to specific loading gauges regardless of track gauge or have been re-gauged during their lifetime.
If the above is true then using the formulae - Track gauge in inches divided by 7.25 inches gives a factor that divided into 12 inches will give the exact scale in inches to the foot.
Thus; Standard Gauge – 56.5/7.25 = 7.72 then 12/7.72 = 1.54 inches to the foot, although this is commonly rounded down to 1.5”/ft. which is the scale often used for railway company works drawings.
Continuing; 3ft g is 2.4”/ft -- 2ft 6”g is 2.9”/ft – 2ft g is 3.6”/ft – 18” g is 5”/ft
However, scale is whatever you want it to be. Milner Engineering designed their quarry Hunslet to be available in two scales 3” and 4”. Henry Greenly designed the 15” gauge Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Rly locos to be around one third full size (4”/ft) when in fact they should have been nearer to quarter full size (3”/ft). Greenly then deviated again by further increasing the rod, link and axle box bearing sizes to give longer life to those components.
As you can see the scale you use is for you to decide, however, big deviations away from the true scale could find you with a horrible looking loco that bears little resemblance to the prototype. I often think of the old adage - ‘If it looks right it is right’

Jordan Leeds

Topics: 3

Replies: 4

Posted: Tue 8th Mar 2011, 1:52am

thanks i shall look into using the above for my project to build a llanfair goods train.

« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Web design by Slingshot