« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

AGM Question

Denis Mulford

Topics: 4

Replies: 24

Posted: Tue 30th Aug 2016, 10:03pm
AGM Question

In the booking form and info that came with the last News, second paragraph, it says that the track at Pecorama has a section in the cutting with a minimum radius of 28 feet and that locomotives will have to be able to negotiate it so no part of a fixed wheelbase should be more than 18".
We were hoping to bring down our newly completed, refurbished, ex Bolebroke Castle Hunslet "Charles" but this has wheel centres of 19¼" so we have booked in another locomotive.
However I have recently seen pictures on Facebook of both a resident "Linda" and now a "Blanche", same as our "Charles", running on the railway. Now I'm not sure that Linda is the same as ours but I am pretty sure that Blanche was done from the same drawings so should have the same wheelbase.

Is it possible for someone in the know to find out if Charles will go around or not ? and if so I will change locomotives or if not perhaps someone can let me know the difference in locomotives or am I just being plain thick in my old age.

Kind regards

Denis Mulford

Replies To This Post

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Wed 31st Aug 2016, 8:29am

Denis, your question is a thorny one as a bit more than just wheel base is at play here. There are other factors to consider as to whether your loco can negotiate a 28ft radius curve or not, and the simplest way of finding out is actually to try it on a similar (or tighter) radius.

Up for consideration has to be is there gauge widening on the tight curve, and how much, then how close to size are the loco axles (back-to-back), how much flange wear has taken place, wheel diameter? 0-4-0 locos will negotiate tight curves much better than 0-6-0s. Romulus with a 16" wheel-base is reputed to manage 10ft rad, though I've never tried it. I suspect that Charles may well manage, but it's a long way to haul a loco to find that it doesn't.

BILL

Replies: 30

Posted: Wed 31st Aug 2016, 1:49pm

Denis, I have a spread sheet that may help you. My email address can be found via the Address Book at the top of this page.

Denis Mulford

Posted: Wed 31st Aug 2016, 7:32pm

Bill,

Many thanks but which Bill are you ? or membership number please.

Denis

BILL

Replies: 30

Posted: Wed 31st Aug 2016, 8:19pm

johnnicholson

Topics: 12

Replies: 69

Posted: Wed 31st Aug 2016, 8:45pm

Pecorama has a resident Linda which has been there for many years and this last week (loco week) the Brian Reading award winning loco "Blanche" from last years AGM has been double heading with Linda. See Facebook.

Callum Darraugh

Topics: 1

Replies: 4

Posted: Thu 1st Sep 2016, 9:46am

We have indeed "Linda" which has 20" fixed wheelbase - somewhat longer than we should, theoretically, use on our sharper curves. Linda has been modified to give greater clearance between engine and tender and the same where the draw bar passes through the buffer beams of engine and tender. Also, Linda's mileage is limited to prevent wearing track on sharp curves."Blanche" - visiting last week was also ok, though the engine and tender were VERY close together on the 28 ft curve. So there is more to consider than just fixed wheelbase! You are welcome to try "Charles" but, as said above, it is a long way to come if it will not negotiate a particular curve or turnout.

As regards 6 coupled loco's, there is the additional consideration of us having RAISED (as in above the running rail height) check rails on sharp curves with the the obvious limitations that introduces.
Hope this helps.
Kind regards,
Callum
Deputy CME, BHLR

George Coles

Topics: 19

Replies: 90

Posted: Fri 2nd Sep 2016, 9:54am

Callum, how high above the running rails are your check-rails? I wonder if my loco's (and maybe other peoples') de-rail bars will clear them.
Thanks
George
Callum, how high above the running rails are your check-rails? I wonder if my loco's (and maybe other peoples') de-rail bars will clear them.
Thanks
George

Denis Mulford

Posted: Fri 2nd Sep 2016, 2:23pm

Many thanks to Xz, Bill, John and Callum for the replies and sorry I have not got back sooner but have been away from the P.C.

After all consideration we have decided to take "Charles" down instead of my Baldwin. If it does not go round then we can always have a pint and watch the others.

Thanks again

Denis Mulford

Callum Darraugh

Topics: 1

Replies: 4

Posted: Fri 2nd Sep 2016, 6:18pm

George, the raised check rails are 1/8" higher than the running rail.

Kind regards,
Callum
Deputy CME, BHLR

George Coles

Topics: 19

Replies: 90

Posted: Sun 4th Sep 2016, 6:30am

Callum
Thanks, Fritz will clear that comfortably.
George

« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Web design by Slingshot