« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

AM I IN THE RIGHT GAUGE?

HauteSaoneFrance

Topics: 27

Replies: 91

Posted: Sun 2nd Feb 2014, 9:51pm
AM I IN THE RIGHT GAUGE?

Maybe a silly question that I've already answered by joining this society? So far as ride on, ride in railways are concerned it seems to me that 5 in & 7.1/4 in makes up for the greater majority of activity in miniature railways? I'm a lover of the meatier stuff but it does look as if the sheer cost and necessity to have a lot of space plus the weight of locomotives and rolling stock of say 10.1/4in and bigger rules this out for most private circuits. Does anyone have any statistics on the number of tracks in varying gauges and how many enthusiasts there are in each of the gauges from 5 inch upwards? Davina 5158

Replies To This Post

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Sun 2nd Feb 2014, 10:21pm

These points are often, and long, discussed. Whilst it is possible to use 5" Gauge at ground level it is rather hard on backs and necks, and gets more so with advancing age. 7-1/4"G has similar problems, particularly with Std. gauge outline, but to a lesser degree, and with later onset. 5" may benefit from being slightly easier to cart around, depending on what you model. It's like everything else in life, 'Horses for Courses', what suits one may well not suit another. Personally I find it easier to trail my 7-1/4" loco than to lift a 5" in and out of the car.

HauteSaoneFrance

Posted: Mon 3rd Feb 2014, 3:16pm

Thanks Xz for the reply, in my case it's a desire to establish a railway at my French place rather than taking a Loco to other tracks, I can handle weights close to 1 ton on site and up to 3 tons on transport. I'm rather taken with the heavier end of the 'industrial' type Loco perhaps petrol/diesel hydraulic rather that battery electric and something with enough weight to give good traction as max gradients could be at the higher end of the scale if I'm to use the whole of my site and perhaps most importantly? good brakes. I rather like the idea of 'sit' in rather than 'sit on' which is why I was drawn to a larger gauge though I now understand that a 7.1/4 loco may be the same animal except for it's gauge? Finally I'm sure a lot of the pleasure for me is going to be establishing the track and infrastructure rather than just the Loco and rolling stock itself. Maybe I'm more of a civil engineer at heart than a mechanical engineer? 5158

MartynRedfearn

Topics: 16

Replies: 107

Posted: Mon 3rd Feb 2014, 3:43pm

You can go very large with narrow gauge 7 1/4, Victoria is 27" wide, the other loco is a 5"
You can go very large with narrow gauge 7 1/4, Victoria is 27" wide, the other loco is a 5"

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Mon 3rd Feb 2014, 4:28pm

I've yet to come across a 5"G sit-ON, never mind a sit-IN! There are several wonderful sit-ins in 7-1/4", steam, electric and I.C. powered. The only other option would be to go up a gauge, down certainly isn't it. Larger means more space required, larger rad curves, more ground works, etc. and probably more maintenance.

If you need stats for 10-1/4" then perhaps their site will give you a clue.

HauteSaoneFrance

Posted: Mon 3rd Feb 2014, 7:32pm

Hi Martyn, thanks for posting a pic of Victoria, a very impressive Loco indeed, is it a regular type or a one off? Whatever some info would be much appreciated as to spec etc? It certainly shows what's achievable in 7.1/4

HauteSaoneFrance

Posted: Mon 3rd Feb 2014, 7:49pm

Hi again Xz, thanks for your reply, I was impressed with 'Victoria' (see my above post)there does seem to be a huge difference between 5 in and 7.1/4 Popularity wise it does seem to me with my very limited experience and judging by membership of this forum at around 1200 plus as against only 10% of that number being members of the 10.1/4 society that 7.1/4 has the edge but not only for members but also to commercial organisations offering everything from Loco's to parts. Cost is an issue too I perceive. Being winter I haven't been able to get out and look around some of the tracks as they all seem to close until well into March.

MartynRedfearn

Topics: 16

Replies: 107

Posted: Mon 3rd Feb 2014, 9:41pm

Davina see Winter 2009 7 1/4 gauge news for an the first of a two part article on her http://www.sevenandaquarter.org/media/documents/book131.pdf

« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Web design by Slingshot