Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Advice please.

woody99

Topics: 1

Replies: 4

Posted: Sat 9th Nov 2013, 12:48pm
Advice please.

Advice please.
In my shed I have a bogie the wheels centre at 3 3/4'' or 95mm overall length is 30 1/4'' or 770mm. Solid buffers are at one end only as is towing hook.
Please excuse my ignorance but can a member please advise if this a proper bit of kit of use for someone. I was going to make a non railway use of it but I thought I had better check first.
Thank you

Replies To This Post

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Sat 9th Nov 2013, 12:56pm

Woody, good of you to think of others. I would say it is certainly of use to someone, probably as a riding waggon. I suggest if you wish to dispose of it down that route, then advertise it in the "For Sale" section.

woody99

Posted: Sat 9th Nov 2013, 1:14pm

Thank you very much for a very swift response. I was not even convinced I had found the correct site as I was not clear on how the guage is measured (despite spending the first sixteen years of my life living at a railway station!!)
I will take your advice and offer it on the "for sale" section.
Thanks again.

Turbostar

Topics: 10

Replies: 37

Posted: Sat 9th Nov 2013, 3:13pm

Hi Woody.

It is most likely a 3 1/2" gauge riding truck and to be honest you might struggle to sell it as most places with 3 1/2" Gauge Track also have 5" Gauge Track and riding trucks use the larger gauge for extra stability.

It's worth a try though as you never know your luck and it might just be the very item someone has been looking for.

A 3 1/2" gauge association has very recently been formed. Moving this on might be something they can help you with.

Best of luck.

Turbostar

Posted: Sat 9th Nov 2013, 3:14pm

Oh yes the link to their website is: http://www.3andahalfgauge.co.uk/

woody99

Posted: Sat 9th Nov 2013, 4:13pm

Thank you very much for the info. I have contacted the 3andahalf website.
Cheers Alan

Alan Pollock

Topics: 6

Replies: 48

Posted: Sat 9th Nov 2013, 6:15pm

I wonder if the new society is worth supporting.

Turbostar

Posted: Sat 9th Nov 2013, 7:23pm

Hi Alan.

I would say it is if you have an interest in 3 1/2" Gauge. Personally it isn't the gauge for me at the moment, i prefer the smaller 2 1/2" Gauge and am a member of the supporting association http://www.n25ga.org.uk/ excuse the website it is a work in progress but the way the association is managed and the publications produced are absolutely second to none. It is a fantastic groups but let's be fair it is only great if you are interested in modelling that gauge.

Alan Pollock

Posted: Sat 9th Nov 2013, 8:10pm

Hi

The problem for me is I am into anything to do with railways but my head is telling me not to become a collector of clubs/society's at the moment i am a member of 8 different clubs and was thinking that's 2 much but then i class it as part of my hobby but I need to stop somewhere. What would be ideal for me is if we can all combine all the gauges under one society but that would be a problem in it self.

Thanks
Alan

Alan Pollock

Posted: Sat 9th Nov 2013, 8:10pm

Hi

The problem for me is I am into anything to do with railways but my head is telling me not to become a collector of clubs/society's at the moment i am a member of 8 different clubs and was thinking that's 2 much but then i class it as part of my hobby but I need to stop somewhere. What would be ideal for me is if we can all combine all the gauges under one society but that would be a problem in it self.

Thanks
Alan

Keithf7

Topics: 0

Replies: 19

Posted: Sun 10th Nov 2013, 7:29am

Hi Woody99, In your description you write that the bogie wheels centre at 3 3/4". Do you mean the axle to axle centres or the distance between the backs of the wheels ? Sorry to labour the point, but the difference between a 3 1/2" gauge truck and a 5" gauge truck will have an impact on it's appeal. ( the 5" gauge market having a wider appeal ) Have a look at the the track standards on this website. Click on "About us" on the header bar then click on Track standards. That will give you a good idea of the way to measure your truck.

Regards,
Keith McDonald

woody99

Posted: Sun 10th Nov 2013, 2:18pm

Hi Keith,
Thank you for info. I have taken a photo of what I was measuring to see if that helps.
Alan
Hi Keith,
Thank you for info. I have taken a photo of what I was measuring to see if that helps.
Alan

Keithf7

Topics: 0

Replies: 19

Posted: Mon 11th Nov 2013, 8:33am

Hi Woody,
Thank-you, that definitely confirms that your truck is 3 1/2" gauge. Both Model Engineer magazine and Engineering In miniature have a free classified advertisement section. Alternatively it may be worth approaching your local model engineering club to see if anyone is interested. We list a links page to most clubs on our own website at www.phoenixlocos.com
It is nice to see someone take the time and trouble to find a home for these items rather than just scrapping them, good luck with the disposal.

Keith McDonald

woody99

Posted: Tue 12th Nov 2013, 6:43pm

Hi Keith,
Thank you for the further advice. To be honest I had earmarked it to convert into a garden feature. However when I looked at it again even someone as uncultured as myself in engineering/modelling could appreciate the work that had gone in to its manufacture. As suggested I will put it up for offer in the classified you suggest.
Alan

« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Web design by Slingshot