« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Bar Track Bending Machine

Laftec

Topics: 3

Replies: 4

Posted: Wed 15th Aug 2012, 4:49pm
Bar Track Bending Machine

Has anyone any information on the availability of a Bar Track bending machine to bend mild steel 20mm * 10mm Bar ?
At present I am considering designing and making one.
If successful, should anyone have a similar problem and is interested in possibly obtaining a copy let me know.

Replies To This Post

Peter Beevers

Replies: 134

Posted: Wed 15th Aug 2012, 6:29pm

All you need is two rollers either end of a frame, plus one in the middle with a large screw to adjust its position and a bar to turn it. The rollers will need a groove machined in them to accept the bar. And that's it.

colinedmondson

Replies: 82

Posted: Fri 17th Aug 2012, 7:59pm

We just spring the bar to the radius and weld it to steel cross ties. (25 x 10). If the joints are bolted up well before welding and decent track gauges used the curves will be fine. Colin Edmondson (High Legh railway)

Laftec

Posted: Sat 18th Aug 2012, 7:38am

Colinedmondson answer is just fine.. I have done this in the past but now I have purchased a Maxitrax Planet 2 with petrol engine, I find that the rigid chassis tends to derail on curves if there is a slightest uneveness. That is a fault in the way the Loco is constructed and needs modifying to work. My previous Loco did not have this problem.
In answer to Peter Beevers... I have designed a tool just as he says but was only interested to know if anyone else had a similar problem on producing a smooth radii of less than 20 ft down to 10 ft. The cost of producing one tool is otherwise too high.

Mick

Topics: 7

Replies: 114

Posted: Sat 18th Aug 2012, 4:29pm

We don't use bar rail any more at Abbeydale Miniature Railway, Sheffield, having gone on to flat bottom rail throughout, however here are some photos of our bending machine, to give an idea of size, the larger roller is 40mm in diameter. The two larger rollers are geared together underneath. The grooves in the rollers don't really serve any purpose! Don't mess about with fine screw adjustments as every bar or rail rolls differently according to how much it has become annealed when in a red hot pile at the steel works after rolling. I hope that helps.
We don't use bar rail any more at Abbeydale Miniature Railway, Sheffield, having gone on to flat bottom rail throughout, however here are some photos of our bending machine, to give an idea of size, the larger roller is 40mm in diameter. The two larger rollers are geared together underneath. The grooves in the rollers don't really serve any purpose! Don't mess about with fine screw adjustments as every bar or rail rolls differently according to how much it has become annealed when in a red hot pile at the steel works after rolling. I hope that helps.

Mick

Topics: 7

Replies: 114

Posted: Sun 19th Aug 2012, 7:17am

Here's the second photo of our bar track rolling machine, an underneath view showing geared connection between the two larger rollers.
Here's the second photo of our bar track rolling machine, an underneath view showing geared connection between the two larger rollers.

Laftec

Posted: Sun 19th Aug 2012, 10:05am

Thanks Mick... Yours is a great solution.

ilvaporista

Topics: 0

Posted: Mon 12th Nov 2012, 2:24pm

Have a look at this for some ideas, this is designed to bend 20 x 10mm
http://www.bellariaalpinenorthern.org/2008.htm

Laftec

Posted: Wed 28th Nov 2012, 9:55pm

I have now made a bar track bender as suggested by Peter Beeves and it works extremely well.... Thanks Peter

Akime123

Topics: 0

Replies: 1

Posted: Tue 9th Sep 2014, 8:44am

Great tutorial! Thank you! If you would like to go further, I found some interesting information on this website: http://www.directindustry.com/industrial-manufacturer/bending-machine-61956.html

johnnicholson

Topics: 12

Replies: 69

Posted: Thu 11th Sep 2014, 1:54pm

I built one of these bar bending rolls around 1990 for Bradford MES. They are straight forward to manufacture but the only point to note is that if you use a centre roller to bend the rail there will be a portion at the end of the bar that will not be rolled. This portion will be equal to half the distance of the outer rollers so it is a good idea not to make the outer roller to widely spaced. Normally this short section should not affect the overall track line.

« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Web design by Slingshot