« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Beginner No gear no idea.

Puffing Billy

Topics: 1

Replies: 2

Posted: Wed 17th Jul 2013, 6:53pm
Beginner No gear no idea.

Juat about to construct a new railway in my garden with about 300m of track. I have nothing yet, but the space means I need quite tight corners. I want to pull about 6 adults and with a budget of abot £4000 for the whole project I need advice.
Any such advice would be greatfully accepted.

Replies To This Post

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Thu 18th Jul 2013, 10:15am

It also sounds like you might need another pair of hands (or two). I suggest you should perhaps add a little more information, such as where about you are, so anyone in that area can get in contact.

There is plenty of discussion on past threads in this forum to give advice about grades and curves, rail types and stuff like that. A search should prove beneficial.

Puffing Billy

Posted: Thu 18th Jul 2013, 11:33am

Thanks, You are absolutely right. I have found quite a lot of information. I have probably gathered enough to at least draw up a plan and start thinking about groundworks.
I'll post again if I get stuck.
Based near Lincoln.

Chris Stockdale

Topics: 2

Replies: 7

Posted: Thu 18th Jul 2013, 2:25pm

You might find these pages on the Ride on Railways website useful. Although much is about 5" gauge, as that is what Paul Middleton started building and supplies most of, there is plenty of good practical advice that applies just as much to 7 1/4".

http://www.rideonrailways.co.uk/paul/building/index.html

Cheers,

Chris

frankcooper

Topics: 9

Replies: 58

Posted: Thu 18th Jul 2013, 6:18pm

There are clubs at Lincoln and mine down the road at Stickney - a visit to them might answer some of your queries.

Puffing Billy

Posted: Thu 18th Jul 2013, 8:15pm

Thanks folks. I had no idea there was such a community associated with this hobby. I will get myself out to a few events to get the full flavour.

Chris B

Topics: 2

Replies: 17

Posted: Thu 18th Jul 2013, 10:25pm

Lincoln and District Model Engineers have a track at the playing field at North Scarle just out of Lincoln, see either of the two websites below for contact details and when we are running the railway at Scarle
http://www.lincolnmes.co.uk/ or http://ldmesunofficially2.blogspot.co.uk/

Cheers

Chris Birkett

johnedmonds

Replies: 6

Posted: Fri 19th Jul 2013, 9:32pm

Having just extended my own railway I would suggest you stick to a minimum radius curves of 25ft unless you have VERY short wheelbase. I can pull round with a ThomasII and three coaches but with a lot of flange squeel. Pic showing the electric loco on the bend.

johnbohan

Replies: 6

Posted: Tue 23rd Jul 2013, 12:27am

Hi John,
Honestly.....forget spending £4000 for now. If possible join/visit clubs and different venues and get some experience of what will do what. People buy in haste and regret at leisure.
Good Luck, John

« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Web design by Slingshot