Forum Options

« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Bimpson coaches - anyone know their history ?

ivanhewlett

Topics: 8

Replies: 53

Posted: Tue 4th Apr 2017, 9:38am
Bimpson coaches - anyone know their history ?

Hi All

As you may know we are building a new railway here in St Neots, Cambridgeshire - Riverside Miniature Railway - and we have acquired a superb 3 coach carriage set that are apparently the work of Arnold Bimpson of MAGHULL locomotive works (we think dating from around 1983 ?).

These carriages ran at the Brean Central Railway at some point before being purchased by ESSMEE for their, then new, railway at the Bath and West Showground. Subsequently I obtained them for the RMR.

It is always nice to know more about older equipment like this, so if anyone has any photographs or recollections of these vehicles in their previous life then it would be great to see or hear please ?

By the way we will be running trains at the RMR over the 14th, 15th, 16th and 17th April for Easter and if you wish to come and see us please introduce yourself and I will ensure that you get the full story on our project.

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards, Ivan (1065)
www.riversiderailway.co.uk

Replies To This Post

Pete

Topics: 0

Replies: 5

Posted: Wed 4th Oct 2017, 8:07pm

Hi. I was one of the founder members of the Bath and West Railway club. I was also one of the people involved in lifting the track at Brean and subsequently assisting in the restoration of these carriages. I knew of the line at Brean whilst it was still in operation but never had the opportunity to ride it. Around the mid late 1990’s I was incidentally an occasional volunteer driver at the nearby Weston miniature railway, now also sadly closed (2012).

If you have a look at the archive photos on the East Somerset Society ME website there are some pictures of the carriages and track leaving the site at Brean and some post closure photos too.

Kind regards

Pete Beacham (2276)

« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Web design by Slingshot