Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Cars/Vans to transport 7 1/4 inch gauge loco's etc

vulcanworks

Topics: 11

Replies: 15

Posted: Tue 21st Feb 2017, 12:14pm
Cars/Vans to transport 7 1/4 inch gauge loco's etc

Hi,
We're currently looking for a 2nd car or maybe a van to help transport all our equipment to various events, and we were wondering what other people use to transport their loco's around.

It has to be dual purpose as it'll be used to ferry kids and grandparents to school, hospital appointments and so on. If it's a car it needs to be capable of possibly towing a trailer in the future.

I've done a bit of research and the type of 2nd hand vehicles coming up include the VW Passat Estate, Skoda Octavia Scout, Kia Sedona and Hyundai Santa Fe.

We've got a budget of between £5,000 and £7,000.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated. Thanks

Replies To This Post

PeteW

Topics: 0

Replies: 21

Posted: Tue 21st Feb 2017, 12:34pm

For much the same reasons I bought a Vauxhall Vivaro Crew Cab. It has 2 rows of 3 seats in the cab. The load area is separated by a substantial bulkhead. I can fit a loco and 2 trolleys all of 4-5 feet length side by side in the back.

Pete,

ivanhewlett

Topics: 8

Replies: 53

Posted: Thu 23rd Feb 2017, 4:41pm

Hi

I can only say that as the proud and happy owner of a Santa Fe for almost 5 years now they are a cracking car, can tow up to 2.5 tonnes and are very pleasant to drive - also to my mind about the best looking part time 4x4 out there.
I use it to tow my loco's around as well as portable track, but also more recently a mini digger on a road trailer, the Santa Fe takes it all in its stride. Mine is a manual and the clutch went a couple of years back which cost around £1700 to fix, but it has done over 50K and 90% of this towing as it also tows our 1500kg caravan regularly.
Hope this might be of help to you
Cheers, Ivan

J B E

Topics: 1

Replies: 6

Posted: Fri 24th Feb 2017, 1:32am

In reply to PeteW regarding any Vivaro Double cab/ Crew cab or any VAN derived vehicle, [other than the Combi or any nine seater]. Beware.....P & O Rotterdam - Hull or Zeebrugge and the Irish ferries are charging the commercial rate for these vehicles, [which is more than DOUBLE the price of a car derived vehicle]. D F D S. Dover - Dunkirk do NOT charge a commercial rate for a privately owned van/van derived vehicle. Hope this helps, Regards John

vulcanworks

Posted: Wed 7th Jun 2017, 1:51pm

Just to close of this thread. We finally went for a very nice 08 reg Nissan X-Trail. It's quite a hefty beasty - a 2.2 tonne towing limit and 5ft+ of flat boot space. Hopefully in the next month or so we'll be hitching it up to an 8ft IFOR Williams box trailer. It'll get its first test when I take it to Telford on Friday to load up 2 5ft coaches, a 4ft coach and a Saturn loco from Abbotts Model Engineering.

Peter Beevers

Topics: 3

Replies: 134

Posted: Thu 8th Jun 2017, 8:16am

I wouldn't be without my trusty Sprinter. Nothing else comes close in terms of reliability, ease of use and plain old ability to get the job done.

George

Topics: 3

Replies: 12

Posted: Mon 11th Sep 2017, 10:42pm

I can highly recommend volvo estate. either the V70 or V90. Both versions have tie down included and I get 35mpg out of mine. I know this is derisory compared with modern cars but I would rather have prang in my car than some of the others.

gillianrainer

Topics: 0

Replies: 3

Posted: Wed 13th Sep 2017, 8:32pm

I totally agree with you George as a Volvo estate user. We have an XC 70 and can get the Standard 2, the Stove R, steaming kit, large tool box, and overnight bag and still have room for the beer. Not forgetting the Driver & Fireman who have a comfortable ride. A proper workhorse!

vulcanworks

Posted: Mon 18th Sep 2017, 10:31am

Just to add. X-Trail has proven its worth with several long distance trips. It's been coupled up to a 10ft dual axle unbraked trailer with mesh sides and canvas cover. We've successfully transported 400ft of track in 8ft panels, three coaches, a loco, parts for a 6m x 3m marquee, and 8 man tent. Adding the cost of car and trailer together came to just shy of £8k.

« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Web design by Slingshot