Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Computers

Alan Pollock

Topics: 6

Replies: 48

Posted: Wed 6th Nov 2013, 7:36pm
Computers

Hi Guys

Hope it's ok to put this on my laptop has got a bug in it and I can not get it back to factory settings and was looking at getting a new one however am not shore about what processor to go for an AMD or Intel nor am I shore weather to go for a hard disk like the one it's in my laptop or go for the fixed type like my iPad sorry I don't know the correct term for this however the catch way the iPad style the biggest I can fined at a good prize is 128gb witch I think mite be a bit small for me and the other is 1tb.

I'd be great-full of any advice

Thanks
Alan

Replies To This Post

Turbostar

Topics: 10

Replies: 37

Posted: Wed 6th Nov 2013, 8:35pm

It really does depend on what you are going to be using it for as this will determine what you need.

Your budget will also dictate what you can get.

Alan Pollock

Posted: Wed 6th Nov 2013, 9:11pm

Mostly use it for word doc, YouTube, Skype (witch is better on laptop/desk computer in my opinion) surfing the web and I do play game on occasion and am not shore what kind of budget I think no more than £450 would get me way more than I need in terms of speed an memory it's more a question of do I use an external hard drive as I'd think the iPad type would be the. Faster computer.

Thanks
Alan

Turbostar

Topics: 10

Replies: 37

Posted: Wed 6th Nov 2013, 9:34pm

In which case pretty much anything on the market will do fine for you. Solid State Disks are Significantly faster than their traditional counterparts but you are not doing anything which will make you feel the benefit of that extra speed.

Boot times with an intel I5 processor and windows 8 are around 15-20 seconds with a standard disc and 10-15 seconds with an SSD.

Alan Pollock

Posted: Wed 6th Nov 2013, 9:55pm

Thanks for that so the intel I5 the better option i think the i7 mite be a bit over kill and the solid state disk is only slightly ahead with a 5 seconds.

Sounds an easy choice the only question now is the solid state disk enough space to do what I am looking to do.

rogerbrown

Replies: 35

Posted: Wed 6th Nov 2013, 10:08pm

Alan

You can also get hybrid hard drives which are a combination of Solid State and conventional, have a look on site like Simply or Scan for example.

On processors I am informed that AMD run hotter than Intel but in the end they all do very much the same thing. If you go for a 64 bit processor don't forget that you should get a 64 bit operating system to go with it. This has the added advantage that you can go way above 4GB of RAM and the more RAM you have the quicker the computer will potentially run.

Regards and good luck

Roger Brown

Member 1066

Alan Pollock

Posted: Wed 6th Nov 2013, 10:20pm

Roger

Thanks for that.

Thanks
Alan

« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics