« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Diesel Sound Systems

rogerbrown

Topics: 6

Replies: 35

Posted: Mon 16th Apr 2012, 9:46pm
Diesel Sound Systems

All can anyone recommend a good diesel sound system as a few of us are planning to build a electric loco and would like to install a decent sound system which is suitable for a narrow gauge diesel loco.

Replies To This Post

ivanhewlett

Topics: 8

Replies: 53

Posted: Tue 17th Apr 2012, 8:18am

How about putting a Diesel engined generator in it ;-)

colinedmondson

Topics: 3

Replies: 82

Posted: Wed 18th Apr 2012, 4:52pm

Now, now, Ivan, don't be taking the Michael! Have you thought about one of the sound systems available for 00 gauge, various engine and whistle sounds are downloadable from websites to match your prototype. Feed the output to a set of PC speakers, which are often 12v supply. Not sure how you would link this to the throttle setting, to get engine note matching power output, but someone out there must know?

Mick

Topics: 7

Replies: 114

Posted: Wed 18th Apr 2012, 6:55pm

My battery electric loco, the Rio Grande 'U-Boat', is fitted with a superb sound system from Cromar White. It has a big choice of locos you can replicate. May I suggest you get in touch with Tony Martin at Cromar White?
My battery electric loco, the Rio Grande 'U-Boat', is fitted with a superb sound system from Cromar White. It has a big choice of locos you can replicate. May I suggest you get in touch with Tony Martin at Cromar White?

rogerbrown

Topics: 6

Replies: 35

Posted: Thu 19th Apr 2012, 9:54pm

Ivan, thanks for idea, hopefully a diesel generator will be more reliable than some home made petrol generators which are used on some loco;s

Just wondered also where you got the relativistic smoke generator from, it not really real at Swindon

colinedmondson

Posted: Fri 20th Apr 2012, 9:33am

Mick, your 'U boat' looks superb`, if it sounds as well as it looks I can't wait to hear it. 
Roger, I have a photo somewhere taken at the moment Ivan realised that he actually didn't have a smoke generator fitted and it was for real! We lifted that body off ever so fast, to find that a split in the exhaust that was sending the hot gases straight onto the wooden bodyshell. 
If you really do want a smoke system and are not just tweaking Ivan's tail, Andy Higgins has fitted one of the locos at High Legh with an inverter powering a disco smoke system piped to the chimney, very effective if a trifle expensive for the smoke fluid.
Mick, your 'U boat' looks superb`, if it sounds as well as it looks I can't wait to hear it.
Roger, I have a photo somewhere taken at the moment Ivan realised that he actually didn't have a smoke generator fitted and it was for real! We lifted that body off ever so fast, to find that a split in the exhaust that was sending the hot gases straight onto the wooden bodyshell.
If you really do want a smoke system and are not just tweaking Ivan's tail, Andy Higgins has fitted one of the locos at High Legh with an inverter powering a disco smoke system piped to the chimney, very effective if a trifle expensive for the smoke fluid.

ivanhewlett

Topics: 8

Replies: 53

Posted: Fri 20th Apr 2012, 12:29pm

Hi Colin

Yes, I think you have guessed correctly - there is a bit of tongue in cheek banter going on between Roger and I, all in the spirit of friendship though I assure you.

It is interesting though the comparison of 'synthesised' sound or visual effects Vs 'naturally produced'. OK admittedly the smoke generator in the Flying Banana was neither truly prototypical - or planned in truth ;-)

It might initially seem that synthesised effects based on the prototype being modelled should be more accurate than those produced, perhaps, by a single cylinder petrol engine in the model, but I don't always find this to be the case.

Andy Higgins looks to have done a really good job on your High Legh locomotive though.

Food for thought perhaps ?

Cheers, Ivan.

Andy

Topics: 1

Replies: 1

Posted: Wed 2nd May 2012, 10:15am

Hi,
I fitted a diesel sound system to my 5" gauge loco last year. It was a bit of a let down to be honest! If you just want a generic diesel sound for when the loco is moving, then you may be ok.
However I was looking for a specific loco sound that would be synchronised to the loco`s movements. I set my benchmark by what is available in the model railway world in `00` and `0` gauge. What I ended up with fell short of the mark in my opinion.
I don`t think it fair to mention company names on the forum, but if you would like more information feel free to e-mail me andyjbirchall@msn.com
Regards
Andy

colinedmondson

Posted: Tue 5th Jun 2012, 12:27pm

Roger, This link came up on the 7 1/4" railways facebook page, relating to my earlier post about using PC speakers. This one uses a sound card from a greetings card! If you follow the liks it takes you to a site where the different sounds can be downloaded. Not sure that this answers your problem, but it may give food for thought.
http://ridetrains.net/horn.htm
Cheers, Colin

Vulcan

Topics: 1

Replies: 8

Posted: Sun 4th Nov 2012, 8:11pm

Try Mtroniks I hear they make a good one at a reasonable price.
I put a TRAX unit in a small 7.1/4 and it wasn't too bad.
Its important to put the speaker in a proper enclosure and position it correctly. If this isn't done some of the results are poor.

« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Web design by Slingshot