« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Harry Holt

Tony Wood

Topics: 1

Replies: 1

Posted: Tue 24th Sep 2013, 1:31pm
Harry Holt

It is with sadness that I have to report the death earlier today of Hull boilermaker Harry Holt.

It is understood that Harry was found unconscious on the morning of Thursday 26th August having fallen downstairs during the night. Initial tests showed two brain bleeds. He had been in hospital since his fall rarely regaining consciousness.

He was one of those real characters as anyone who met him or who visited him in his workshop will testify and he will be greatly missed.

Replies To This Post

Peter Beevers

Topics: 3

Replies: 134

Posted: Tue 24th Sep 2013, 1:36pm

Tony,

I agree, very sad news indeed.

He was, indeed, one of life's real characters: great fun to talk to, and always ready to do so for a long time, even to me as a relative stranger.

Peter

Nigel Musson

Replies: 3

Posted: Wed 25th Sep 2013, 6:27am

I was in contact with Harry immeadiately prior to the kitchen episode and it is good to know that he was enjoying life doing what he wanted to do right up to the end

As has been said, a really nice person and a very skilled engineer

craiggluyas

Topics: 0

Replies: 10

Posted: Wed 25th Sep 2013, 12:50pm

What a shame, a lovely man who continued to help the hobby by producing excellent quality boilers at very reasonable rates, often half the prices quoted by most, even when he was "stitched up" a few years back by his competitors. He will be missed.

Mick

Topics: 7

Replies: 114

Posted: Thu 26th Sep 2013, 5:05am

I'm the proud owner of a Harry Holt boiler which I collected from Harry personally about 18 months ago. What a great guy, still able to lug a Thomas 2 boiler around single handed despite being 20 years older than me. A great loss to the hobby.

johnmills

Replies: 9

Posted: Sat 28th Sep 2013, 7:34am

Harry was part way through a third boiler for me - the other two were fitted to my Royal Scot 10 years ago and to Flying Scotsman more recently. When I last spoke with him in early August  he was as cheerful and happy as ever. I always enjoyed my conversations with him and will miss him a great deal.
Harry was part way through a third boiler for me - the other two were fitted to my Royal Scot 10 years ago and to Flying Scotsman more recently. When I last spoke with him in early August he was as cheerful and happy as ever. I always enjoyed my conversations with him and will miss him a great deal.

Geoff

Posted: Sat 28th Sep 2013, 4:02pm

I am the step son of Harry Holt. Thank you for your kind comments, he was a truly special man. I want to ensure he has the best possible send off. Would there be any point in posting the funeral details here - they are not finalised yet. The venue will be Hull.

Peter Beevers

Topics: 3

Replies: 134

Posted: Sat 28th Sep 2013, 4:18pm

Geoff,

Yes, post them here. If you wish, we can then copy them to other internet forums to ensure the broadest possible audience knows about it.

Geoff

Posted: Sat 28th Sep 2013, 4:37pm

Thank you Peter. I will post the information as soon as possible. Things have been complicated by the involvement of the Coroner. Please copy in due course and send to the four winds.
Nigel Musson - thank you for your letter to my mother, much appreciated.
Tony Wood - can I ask where you got your extremely accurate information from - almost a straight lift from one of my e mails!!

MartynRedfearn

Topics: 16

Replies: 107

Posted: Sat 28th Sep 2013, 4:39pm

Bunty's boiler is also one of Harry's
Bunty's boiler is also one of Harry's

MartynRedfearn

Topics: 16

Replies: 107

Posted: Sat 28th Sep 2013, 4:40pm

Bunty's boiler is also one of Harry's, was orignally bound for 7 1/4 Garratt
Bunty's boiler is also one of Harry's, was orignally bound for 7 1/4 Garratt

Tony Wood

Posted: Tue 1st Oct 2013, 7:37am

Geoff

The news was passed to me by Bob Garnett

Geoff

Posted: Tue 1st Oct 2013, 1:54pm

Thanks Tony, I had finally worked that one out !!
All - Harry's funeral is at the Chanterlands Avenue crematorium - large chapel - in Hull at 3.30pm this coming Friday 4th October.
Please spread this news as far as you can.

Allen

Posted: Wed 23rd Oct 2013, 12:48am

Hi I'm sorry to here about Harry's death I didn't know him that well he was in the process of makeing me a traction engine boiler.does any body know how I can contact Harry's step son so I can collect my old boiler I had no drawings for it and Harry was copying from the old boiler so he could make me a new one .is there any one carrying on his on going work?

johnmills

Replies: 9

Posted: Thu 24th Oct 2013, 5:56pm

Allen,
I have been in contact with Andrew Kirk in recent weeks - he had been working with Harry for a year or more. He hopes to continue with the boiler construction and may be in a position to commence in a month or two from now. He can be contacted at 14 East Newton, Aldbrough, Yorkshire, HU11 4RT

« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Web design by Slingshot