Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Home brew

Alan Pollock

Topics: 6

Replies: 48

Posted: Sat 26th Apr 2014, 9:57pm
Home brew

Hi Guys

I hope it's ok to ask on here if not then please let me know but I am looking to give the home brewing a go but I have no idea of what involved or equipment needed or how long it take's to do it can anyone offer any advice thanks in advance

Thanks
Alan Pollock

Ps sorry if this come's across a bit rude I could not think of another way of asking

Replies To This Post

Turbostar

Topics: 10

Replies: 37

Posted: Tue 29th Apr 2014, 7:03pm

Hi Alan.

What is it you are thinking of home brewing?

Alan Pollock

Posted: Tue 29th Apr 2014, 8:54pm

Hi Turbostar

I was manly looking at the real ale's as that normally what I buy for the house.

Thanks
Alan

Turbostar

Topics: 10

Replies: 37

Posted: Thu 1st May 2014, 7:42am

I have made a few batches of real ale from the off the shelf kits.

You can buy a starter kit with all the bit and bobs you need from brewing shops or even from Wilkinsons.

it's a long time since i bought mine but i think it was about £20.

Then you need to choose your beer kit. These kits are basically large tins of pre-prepared syprup. Basically you follow the instructions and hey presto, six weeks later you have a beer ready to be bottled.

Just one tip. Everything needs to be absolutely 100% clean and free of bacteria otherwise its a waste of time.

I enjoyed making my own beer but then tried to be a little more adventurous making lagers but after a number of disappointments i lost interest. (I couldn't get it to be fizzy like the lager in the pub. )

Alan Pollock

Posted: Thu 1st May 2014, 9:31pm

Hi Turbostar

Thanks for the advice yes the starter kit is around £20 from looking online what am not shore of is the starter set all I need .

Thanks
Alan

billhaywood

Topics: 17

Replies: 30

Posted: Fri 2nd May 2014, 7:55am

How about constructing a brewing coach with a brew tank wagon coupled up.

Xz

Replies: 244

Posted: Sat 10th May 2014, 9:16am

Consider storing your brew in a barrel rather than bottles, it is far less wasteful. Ask me how I know?

Alan Pollock

Posted: Sat 10th May 2014, 6:08pm

Oh XZ

That sound like a bit of banter coming your way so hit us way your knowledge.

Thanks
Alan

Xz

Replies: 244

Posted: Sat 10th May 2014, 9:55pm

Bottles tend to froth and overflow when opened, if kept at the wrong temperature, a bit like champagne. With a barrel you can pour gently and get a good head without waste. I have to say I haven't brewed in many a year, but I probably still have some kit tucked away somewhere. In my day Geordie kits were good, heaven knows if they even still exist.

I discovered that each brew seemed to last less long than the last (it was quite good) 'til I came home early one day and found son and mates all supping. I suppose bottles you can count . . . . .
perhaps they aren't so wasteful after all.

« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Web design by Slingshot