« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Railways to visit ?

brianmason

Topics: 7

Replies: 11

Posted: Tue 26th Jan 2016, 9:46pm
Railways to visit ?

We are having our annual Boys Weekend this year staying in Stoke on Trent, and would like to visit an interesting seven and a quarter gauge line, can anybody recommend one or two ! We will be in that area from Thursday 9th June, travelling home on Sunday 12th......thanks. Brian M Ashmanhaugh Light Railway

Replies To This Post

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Tue 26th Jan 2016, 10:10pm

Hmmm! Railways in Stoke-on-Trent? That's a good 'un! there aren't any; not 7 1/4"G ones anyway. There are one or two further out, Market Drayton (Woodseaves), Mid Cheshire, Crewe, a small one at Foxfield Railway, but that's about it. Depending on where you are staying in SoT, Foxfield is probably the nearest but the full size is really the attraction there. Woodseaves and Mid Cheshire are probably the most interesting, though they only run Sundays. Hope you find something that suits.

Bob G.

Mick

Replies: 114

Posted: Wed 27th Jan 2016, 5:33pm

R.I.P. Finney Park, Bob. I managed to find this old photo of me and ELLA on one of our visits. What a shame the railway had to be dismantled.
R.I.P. Finney Park, Bob. I managed to find this old photo of me and ELLA on one of our visits. What a shame the railway had to be dismantled.

brianmason

Posted: Wed 27th Jan 2016, 6:53pm

Cheers bob, as we thought, not much about many thanks for your reply !

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Wed 27th Jan 2016, 7:13pm

Woodseaves is where I play these days, it's about half an hour from the door. Cracking little railway with a choice of routes. A word with Bill Haywood might get it opened on a special Saturday.

The one I forgot is the remains of Finney, and that's to be found in Trentham Gardens. A balloon loop running alongside the lake, but passengers don't get to run round the loop. You pay to go in and pay again for the train.

nickburton

Topics: 4

Replies: 6

Posted: Mon 1st Feb 2016, 7:29pm

You could also try the Hilcote Valley line at Fletcher's Garden Centre in Eccleshall. I have not been there when it is running, but it looks interesting. There is also a wildlife santuary at the same site. Details on the rather basic website www.fletchersgardencentre.com

brianmason

Posted: Wed 3rd Feb 2016, 9:42am

Cheers Guys, most helpful, we will see what we can fit in ! BrianM

« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Web design by Slingshot