Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Solution within hydrostatic lubricator

Huds123

Topics: 2

Replies: 2

Posted: Fri 24th May 2013, 8:40pm
Solution within hydrostatic lubricator

Hi all,

I'm fitting a hydrostatic lubricator to my engine and is now all piped up but want to know what the best solution to use within the glass. Currently I have read in an article that a saline solution with 2 drops of glycerin within the solution.

Does anyone use anything different with success?

Replies To This Post

Mike

Replies: 20

Posted: Fri 24th May 2013, 10:13pm

Hi Huds.....

There is nothing inside a hydrostatic lubricator but the steam oil, and then, the condensed steam which "floats" the oil out into the steam pipe. When all the oil is gone, the whole thing is drained and refilled with oil. Anything else you would put in there would just end up on the ground when it's drained.

Best,

Mike

Huds123

Posted: Fri 24th May 2013, 10:23pm

Hi mike

Thanks for the reply. I have the tank all set up which then passes through a sightglass before entering into the steam pipe.

I am unsure what the best solution the oil has to pass within the dighglass???

Huds123

Posted: Fri 24th May 2013, 10:25pm

Here is the set up...
Here is the set up...

Mike

Replies: 20

Posted: Sat 25th May 2013, 6:07am

Hi Huds......

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with the lubricator you have in your photo. I've only operated US style lubricators.

If all you have in your photo is the actual sight glass, then, as you say, it has to be filled with some liquid heavier than oil. It won't "fill" with condensate from the lubricator directly. I suppose that is the solution you've seen published.

Mike

alanpollock

Topics: 6

Replies: 48

Posted: Sun 26th May 2013, 7:34pm

I'd love to see someone try and explain how this works maybe an idear for an articale in the news.

thanks
Alan

Bob Pearce

Topics: 0

Replies: 8

Posted: Tue 28th May 2013, 12:13pm

Hi Huds,
I have a sight glass lubricator fitted to my model of a Kerr Stuart Skylark class loco, it is filled with a 50/50 water and glycerine mix which I have found works well for me. Glycerine can be bought from any chemist and I obtained mine from the local branch of Boots. 

Bob
Hi Huds,
I have a sight glass lubricator fitted to my model of a Kerr Stuart Skylark class loco, it is filled with a 50/50 water and glycerine mix which I have found works well for me. Glycerine can be bought from any chemist and I obtained mine from the local branch of Boots.

Bob

brianlee

Topics: 1

Replies: 14

Posted: Sun 14th Sep 2014, 8:30pm

Hi Huds
You do not need a sight glass with a miniature locomotive.
Reason is that with a miniature steam loco the driver can see the chimney top and from state of it i.e. amount of oil on it, you can tell how the hydrostatic lubricator is working.All you need is an Oil Control Valve . When you have finished running , then you give extra oil to the cylinders to stop cast iron cylinders rusting up.
On a full size loco , the driver cannot see the chimney top hence you Need a Sight Glass.
regards
Brian Lee

Richard_Langford

Topics: 10

Replies: 37

Posted: Mon 15th Sep 2014, 1:53pm

Sight glasses are very useful if you are oiling cylinders individually as you can see oil is going where it's meant to. Ie two cylinders which have a glass each. No oil to one cylinder would still give an oily chimney but you'd be able to see it isn't getting oil using a glass.

« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Web design by Slingshot