Sign In above to begin adding replies.

What, where, when?

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Sun 14th Aug 2016, 10:13am
What, where, when?

What, where, when?
I came across this coupling on a 15" railway last week. Not a type I've seen before I don't think, can anyone throw any light on who made them, or whatever?

It was very effective at coupling, no fuss or shoving, self aligning and just a click.

Replies To This Post

WembleyLion

Topics: 2

Replies: 34

Posted: Sun 14th Aug 2016, 7:40pm

By a quirk of coincidence I was looking at one of these couplings only yesterday at Bressingham Steam Museum.

It is fitted to the carriages that run on the 15" Waveney Valley Line. These were built in Germany for the Dusseldorf Trade Fair that ran in 1937.

Krupp built three 4-6-2 locomotives for the fair, Rosenkavalier, Mannertreu and Fleissiges Leischen but not sure whether Krupp built the carriages but I'm sure they would have been of German manufacture. Bressingham once had two sets of carriages but only one set appears to remain now.

Rosenkavalier is now stuffed and mounted in the Bressingham Museum building, Mannertreu is also at Bressingham dismantled and stored and Fleissiges Leischen is at Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch renamed Black Prince and is in running order.

Hope this helps. John

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Sun 14th Aug 2016, 8:01pm

Thanks John, the driver suggested that they were of German manufacture of around the 1930s which you have now confirmed. These are on the new coaches at Blenheim Palace, made by Alan Keef. I also believe they were removed from the previous set. It would be nice to have more detail of the design and operation. They do seem to be long lasting.

WembleyLion

Topics: 2

Replies: 34

Posted: Sun 14th Aug 2016, 8:48pm

Hi Zx,

I have just been looking at some photos of the old Blenheim Palace Railway carriages and they are the same style as those at Bressingham; possibly the missing set that I mention above.

At Bressingham they had nicely curved green covers following the roof line of German carriages of the time; I don't like the horrid Blenheim 'gazebos'.

John

« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Web design by Slingshot