« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

questions / thoughts on the forum

nomis

Topics: 2

Replies: 67

Posted: Tue 7th Nov 2017, 8:31pm
questions / thoughts on the forum

I have just been updating my thread on the Apple Valley Railway in the track & infrastructure section.

A couple of questions:
1) Is it possible to remote link picture from Flickr (using BBcode)?
2) Is it possible to embed YouTube videos?

Also, would it be a good idea to have a "my Railway" forum? That way people could start (and maintain) threads about their own lines, and ongoing projects / events / updates.

If a few people could be persuaded to keep updates going (for both public & private lines) it would make a nice "behind the scenes" story...

Replies To This Post

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Wed 8th Nov 2017, 9:24am

The ability to attach links in the forum was deliberately left off when the website was built, as whilst sometimes useful, it was felt it was too open to abuse.

Currently there is work going on to improve and update the whole website so your suggestion is timely and might possibly be considered.

Bob G.

nomis

Posted: Wed 8th Nov 2017, 1:17pm

Ok, thanks.

In case it helps, I have basically the same thread running over on the garden railway forum:

https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=11275

It all works so much better with remote links....

This forum could be a really good place for people to document progress on thier railways or other 7 1/4 projects.

The live steam forums over on chaski.com are pretty good; there must be enough of us in the society to have a more lively range of topics.

Xz

Posted: Wed 8th Nov 2017, 3:20pm

Largely I agree with you; all things 7 1/4" would be best on here, a one port-of-call affair.

I believe that this forum software is too cumbersome to deal with long threads, though I'm sure a few simple mods could improve that no end, like entry on the last added post, instead of at the top so you have to scroll all the way down. Perhaps that is why it gets little used.

nomis

Posted: Wed 8th Nov 2017, 5:57pm

For me, the restrictioms on remote linking are the main issue.

Good threads are often picture heavy (especially event reports), and posting one at a time is very hard going - it must eat up the data allowances in the forum itself too...

Xz

Posted: Wed 8th Nov 2017, 6:11pm

It shouldn't be too difficult to allow more attachments. Just another instance of the forum software not being suiatble I'm afraid. I use several other forums where these things are not a problem. Perhaps things will improve when the updating is complete. Comments like these can hopefullly only strengthen the hand of those involved.

George Coles

Topics: 19

Replies: 90

Posted: Sat 11th Nov 2017, 8:46pm

It would be nice to be able to comment on pictures posted in the gallery, but I'm not sure that that would then become another forum.  Perhaps pics posted in the forum could be automatically echoed in the forum.  Say in a separate area of the forum, and each pic starting a new topic (using the title as posted in the gallery.)

Obviously, I am aware that pics can be posted in the forum as part of a topic, but many pics are posted in the gallery for general interest, and, as I wrote above, it would be nice to be able to comment, or seek further information.

George C
It would be nice to be able to comment on pictures posted in the gallery, but I'm not sure that that would then become another forum. Perhaps pics posted in the forum could be automatically echoed in the forum. Say in a separate area of the forum, and each pic starting a new topic (using the title as posted in the gallery.)

Obviously, I am aware that pics can be posted in the forum as part of a topic, but many pics are posted in the gallery for general interest, and, as I wrote above, it would be nice to be able to comment, or seek further information.

George C

Peter Beevers

Topics: 3

Replies: 134

Posted: Sun 12th Nov 2017, 9:58am

Putting my day job hat on, I would say that the issues we face are down to very poor analysis of requirements, and some bad technical choices made off the back of that.

What has been done is to try to build:

1) Forum-like
2) Photo gallery sharing-like
3) Basic website

functionality directly into the website, which is just plain bonkers. There are already well established and functionally rich solutions out there for 1) and 2) so why would anyone in their right mind try and reinvent the wheel?? (Hint: reinventing wheels is actually an expensive process. . . .)

To me, the answer is clear - first of all, decide WHAT you want to achieve. Then, look to see what can be got/reused/tailored out there in the real world, easily, quickly, cheaply. Only when that is exhausted should anyone even think about investing in custom built functionality.

And that's ignoring the social media debate: there are plenty (myself included) that believe that traditional websites like this are real dinosaurs and will very rapidly go the same way as the betamax cassette. But all that should come out in the wash if a PROPER, documented analysis is made of requirements and the marketplace. Without doing that first, all money/effort expended is potentially wasted. Again.

George Coles

Topics: 19

Replies: 90

Posted: Sun 12th Nov 2017, 11:15am

Well said Peter. How often do we suffer because web-designers didn't understand what the customer wanted, or (worse) they knew better than the customer!

The only reason for an all-singing, all-dancing web-site, surely, is to be a "one-stop shop"? If that is not an objective then, as you say, well-established social media exists to satisfy all our needs

George C

MartynRedfearn

Topics: 16

Replies: 107

Posted: Tue 14th Nov 2017, 1:56pm

Forgetting the history we definitely need to move forward with websites. I agree that the experts should be the users but with some advice on where to go.

I have found with my club website that it does get regular hits and is needed for the info that needs to be kept handy, but that Facebook does most of the work we need to get visitors on site.
Personally I think that you have to keep things fresh and moving unfortunately these forums simply do not attract enough postings to keep going which is a real shame. I tend to check in hear once a day but much more often on Facebook. The Facebook groups are just so easy to use and get info out to lots of people. They are of course a pain when it comes to finding things as there are some many posts

nomis

Posted: Wed 15th Nov 2017, 7:43am

Peter,

Are you suggesting there is already a good forum somewhere for 7 1/4" interest? (or just that the forum format is available to use?)

I have still yet to find a good forum for our size that has much UK information on in. Chaski.com is pretty good for the US "live steamers" with some really good (and long running) build threads.....

Peter Beevers

Topics: 3

Replies: 134

Posted: Wed 15th Nov 2017, 9:29am

No, I am asserting the latter. There are plenty of good forum frameworks, IF (and only if) that is the chosen way forward.

However, my subsequent point - which will not be liked by many - is that forums have had their day. Social media lacks several features thereof but is very heavily used - and the whole point of this thing is wide reach.

BUT - and it's a huge but - even social media is now pretty old, and so something else will come round the corner pretty soon which will take over. So, in the way of all technology, don't expect it to last, you have to be flexible and ready to move with the times, otherwise you can become a Betamax cassette very quickly. Day job type rant over.

« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Web design by Slingshot