« Back to Track, Signals and Infrastructure Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

ARDUINO ?

Richard

Topics: 10

Replies: 37

Posted: Thu 17th Oct 2013, 6:26pm
ARDUINO ?

I was just wondering if anyone has used an ARDUINO to control signals?

http://www.arduino.cc/

Replies To This Post

rogerbrown

Topics: 6

Replies: 35

Posted: Sat 19th Oct 2013, 6:45pm

Richard

At EHMR we have a section who are using picaxes to control the signals and by having a very quick look at Google they appear to be a similar product. So if you want more information let me know off forum and I will pass your details onto the appropriate members if you are in agreement

Regards

Roger Brown
Member 1066
Posted at 19:45

George

Topics: 0

Replies: 20

Posted: Wed 8th Jan 2014, 4:18pm

Hi Richard,
At my club we are between planning and inplemetating. Any specific questions?
We allready use for controling lights and bells at a crossing including direction sensitivity.
If you have any specific questions I'll be pleased to forward them to the guys doing the work.
Regards George

Bullsim

Topics: 0

Replies: 1

Posted: Fri 15th May 2015, 3:33pm

I am keen to hear more from you George and from you Roger Brown. We have an issue that we have 7.25", 5 and 3.5" track at ground level and trying to work out a way to sense trains is proving a challenge. We have no way to fit a treadle and its welded track. I am really open to ideas! I was looking at arduino.cc, raspberry Pi and now the picaxe product. We want to do level crossing (bi directional) and also signal and block. Mainly because we struggle with getting a signalman and we have a multi route track layout so we wanted to automate and have some self control.

thanks

Simon

Richard_Langford

Topics: 10

Replies: 37

Posted: Wed 20th May 2015, 10:07am

Hi Simon.
I bought an arduino and have been playing with it at home - with excellent results. The big question in my mind is how will one survive out there in the "wild" will it last for year without requiring attention? I guess there is only one way to find out.

I'm not sure of the best way to get the system to detect the train, you can buy all kinds of sensors but each type has pros and cons. One option worth considering is having a button on a post on the approach to the signal, the driver presses the button and if clear the system will give a green , if in use will remain red until clear. If the button isn't pressed the signal can remain at red (danger), Les us know how you get on.

« Back to Track, Signals and Infrastructure Topics

Web design by Slingshot