« Back to Track, Signals and Infrastructure Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Building points from kits - any advice?

nickburton

Topics: 4

Replies: 6

Posted: Sun 3rd Jul 2011, 7:12am
Building points from kits - any advice?

I am just about to start building my first points from steel rail components from Miniature Railway Supply. Jeff had lots of helpful advice, but any other thoughts would be much appreciated.

Nick

Replies To This Post

Stockers

Topics: 2

Replies: 7

Posted: Tue 5th Jul 2011, 5:48am

Nick,

Follow this link for a good walk through of building 5" kit points from the same folks

http://www.worldrailfans.info/GardenRailway/SLRPointBuilding.shtml

cheers

Chris

franksidebottom

Replies: 28

Posted: Tue 5th Jul 2011, 4:05pm

I have enjoyed a (re)visit to John Oxlade's excellent website via the link recommended by Chris. It's worth emphasising that John's description contains measurements applicable to 5" gauge, so for our 7 1/4" gauge (and scale) some proportional adjustments would be necessary.
Best Wishes
Frank

nickburton

Posted: Tue 5th Jul 2011, 10:37pm

A very helpful website - many thanks both.

Nick

Gavin

Replies: 5

Posted: Sat 9th Jul 2011, 10:42am

Having done this, my advice would be to enlist the help of someone with previous experience of building points. And allow yourself a day, even if the instructions suggest it can be done in half a day.

nickburton

Posted: Mon 11th Jul 2011, 3:34pm

Thanks Gavin, any particular issues arise?

Nick

Gavin

Replies: 5

Posted: Tue 12th Jul 2011, 11:57am

The major in issue seemed to be that, in five inch, the room for manoeuvre/scope for error is so small that having something just a fraction out can have unwanted consequences. That and the fact that because the various parts affect each other, as soon as you adjust one thing you find that something else is no longer where you want it to be. Before you cut or drill anything, take a few minutes to stand back and be sure you are doing the right thing. Probably not a bad idea in relation to model engineering generally. That's when having a second pair of eyes can help.

nickburton

Posted: Wed 13th Jul 2011, 7:22pm

Measure (everything) twice, cur once indeed. Thanks again.

Nick

Mick

Topics: 7

Replies: 114

Posted: Thu 14th Jul 2011, 2:46pm

Hi Nick,

No mention has been made of track gauges. I don't know whether these are supplied with your kit but, having lost count of the number of points I've built with in gauges from N to 7¼", I know that a set of track gauges to the Society's standards is essential to ensure smooth running.

« Back to Track, Signals and Infrastructure Topics

Web design by Slingshot