« Back to Track, Signals and Infrastructure Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

CAST CONCRETE SECTIONS

HauteSaoneFrance

Topics: 27

Replies: 91

Posted: Thu 6th Aug 2015, 2:08pm
CAST CONCRETE SECTIONS

My site for the garden railway has such diversity in levels and although I can shift land about to form embankments I'm concerned about land drainage so considering some parts to be on a raised track on precast concrete sections supported on say concrete block piers my feeling is to cast 6 m long (min 4m) sections in a number of made up moulds made up of both straight and curved (30ft radius) and for economy have enough moulds on site to be able to take a 6 cu metre concrete delivery. Casting in situ seems to be a more time consuming operation and access for a ready mix lorry is not possible to some parts of the site, I don't have any problem lifting, moving and placing pre made sections in place. I don't have structural engineering qualification but some experience on like structures, my feeling is for sections to be 6 m long (min 4m) and about 0.6 m wide and 0.2 m thickness with a layer of steel reinforcing fabric at top and bottom. Any advice gratefully received.

Replies To This Post

ivanhewlett

Topics: 8

Replies: 53

Posted: Thu 6th Aug 2015, 4:55pm

Hi Haute Saone and all

I am not sure I have an answer to your question necessarily, but the subject of tracklaying on concrete is an interesting one. I have had contact with some very helpful 7 1/4 clubs who have provided excellent information on their approach to this method. My interest is in the potential construction of a railway using cast-in-situ concrete, partly because of flood risk and partly as it would seem a bit more vandal resistant.
I would feel a little nervous about precasting as it is unlikely you will get even contact pressure on the underside and hence increased risk of cracking over time perhaps ?
Any further thoughts or comments on this subject though would be interesting as pre-casting could save time and enable quicker track build - if it works ?

Good luck in either case.

Cheers, Ivan 1065

HauteSaoneFrance

Topics: 27

Replies: 91

Posted: Thu 6th Aug 2015, 6:55pm

Thanks Ivan for the reply, there is an alternative to DIY casting and that is to use a pair of standard 155mm depth floor beams they are like an upside down 'T' you spread them apart by infilling with a concrete block laid the long way (500mm) which then gives a total width of about 600mm this would be very easy to put in place on piers though a transverse tie rod would be needed to stop them spreading apart therefore allowing the infill concrete blocks to be put in loose, the beams are very strong and relatively cheap as are concrete blocks, they are generally available in lengths of up to about 5.1 metres. Only downside is that you can't roll them into a curve as you would the rail track itself but the run out of a straight line on a 9m radius isn't much so a width of 600mm should be sufficient to accommodate it or the sections could be made in shorter lengths, say down to 3m
though more supporting piers would be needed. Has anyone used this method?

« Back to Track, Signals and Infrastructure Topics

Web design by Slingshot