Colour Light Signals

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Tue 28th Jun 2016, 3:32pm
Colour Light Signals

I'm currently working on some signalling and came across these

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/26mm-redgreen-led-cluster-pd00a

They are three wire, already waterproof, and designed to run from a 12v supply. They are very conveniently hooded like signal lamps.

Wiring is simple, there is a white feed wire and then red and green return wires to show each colour. If both green and red are powered at the same time, it shows orange, allowing a single aspect tri-colour signal. They are cheap enough that you could ignore the colours that you don't want, and make up dual or triple aspect heads, as is your want.

They mount from behind with a 3mm screw in the centre with a locating peg to stop rotation.

No idea yet how long they last, or survive outside, time will tell.

Replies To This Post

MartynRedfearn

Topics: 16

Replies: 107

Posted: Thu 30th Jun 2016, 9:11am

We have been using these for some time. So far only one failure and that was the red so we now use it as green only.

billhaywood

Replies: 30

Posted: Thu 30th Jun 2016, 10:00am

Hello Martyn, Where is 'we'. Have you a photo please.

RussCoppin

Topics: 0

Replies: 8

Posted: Fri 1st Jul 2016, 12:38pm

Could be a useful little thing.
Doesn't help any colour blind members that rely on the position of the lamp within the housing rather than the actual colour.

Xz

Replies: 244

Posted: Fri 1st Jul 2016, 3:15pm

I agree, and we thought of that, as we do have a colour blind member. The most important is Red, so fit two units, and only have both lit when Red. Colour blind or not, it makes it much more obvious. One light is either green or yellow, both 'proceed with caution', and two lit is danger. In actual fact when you are used to them there is sufficient difference between green and yellow, due to the number of LEDs lit, for someone to tell.

johndoyle

Topics: 6

Replies: 21

Posted: Fri 1st Jul 2016, 10:41pm

For safety you should design to fail safe.

So if using two lights, two lights illuminated should mean green, one (or no) light illuminated should mean stop.

I was always taught if the signal indication is unclear, stop; signalmen and signals are for giving drivers permission to proceed.

MartynRedfearn

Posted: Mon 4th Jul 2016, 8:21am

Bill all the photos I can find are taken wrong side but I will try and remember on Thursday to take on but there is a video of them one the club, Brighouse and Halifax ME, facebook page https://www.facebook.com/brighousetrains/videos

MartynRedfearn

Posted: Tue 5th Jul 2016, 7:10am

We use only one colour and run red below green.
We use only one colour and run red below green.

billhaywood

Replies: 30

Posted: Tue 5th Jul 2016, 11:55am

Thank you Martyn, how is the route indicator made up please.
Bill

« Back to Track, Signals and Infrastructure Topics

Web design by Slingshot