« Back to Track, Signals and Infrastructure Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

ECONOMICAL SLEEPERS !

HauteSaoneFrance

Topics: 27

Replies: 91

Posted: Fri 6th Jun 2014, 5:29pm
ECONOMICAL SLEEPERS !

I've got a large quantity of timber offcuts being MASARANDUBA which is a South American hardwood it's 145 X 22 this timber is very dense and heavy (it won't float) requires no treatment, very resistant to rot. I realise it's less than most sleepers in thickness though a lot wider but of course it could be cut to a narrower width, only downside is that to screw into it you do need an accurate pilot hole to suit the screw size, any thoughts about suitability?

Replies To This Post

MartynRedfearn

Topics: 16

Replies: 107

Posted: Sat 7th Jun 2014, 6:45am

You could always go with the 22mm as width but with closer spacing or screw 2 pieces together but that would be a lot of extra work.. Great shame not to use it.

billhaywood

Topics: 17

Replies: 30

Posted: Sat 7th Jun 2014, 11:37pm

Leave the sectional size alone. Would be fine if you're narrow gauge. Would suggest making a wooden jig. Find a length of timber say 4" longer than the wanted sleeper length. Would fix to it a 4" length of timber to one end thus leaving the rest as sleeper length. Place onto sleeper timber and use the other end of jig as a saw cut position and cut it. In the same jig determine and mark the positions for the rail fixing screws, may need experimenting here. Then drill a small diameter hole squarely down through jig for four screw positions. When the jig is placed on the sleeper and a drill past down through these holes, the drill would then leave pilot holes in the sleeper.
If all is going satisfactory you could make a jig from a piece of rail steel.
Don't forget though, on sharp curves you may want to spread the gauge to seven and three eights of an inch maximum to avoid singing flanges.

HauteSaoneFrance

Topics: 27

Replies: 91

Posted: Wed 11th Jun 2014, 5:54pm

Thanks Martyn & Bill,

I did think about using 2 pieces laid on top of one another to give a depth of 44mm which would allow for a decent depth of coarse ballast, the coach screw used to fix the rail could go through both lengths to avoid double fixings. I've got a lot of this timber and a ready supply of more when needed. I had even thought of cutting down the 145 width as it isn't going to look in scale though I do see sleeper sizes can vary quite a bit.

Emile

Topics: 0

Replies: 3

Posted: Thu 12th Jun 2014, 4:47pm

Hello Davida

Be welcome to France ! If you d'nt know any railway in your region, suggest you take contact with our french 71/4" gauge Society :

C.A.V. ( Confrérie des Amateurs de Vapeur ) . Web site : www.cav-escarbille.com
The actual Président is : Mr Jacques CLAUS . he might give you names of CAV Members in the department 25 ! .

" Bon Courage " for the construction of your circuit !!!

Emile MOUSSU ( CAV member n°168 )

« Back to Track, Signals and Infrastructure Topics

Web design by Slingshot