« Back to Track, Signals and Infrastructure Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Fishplates for Barnards Farm Railway

billdadswell

Topics: 4

Replies: 7

Posted: Tue 11th Jan 2011, 11:09am
Fishplates for Barnards Farm Railway

We are looking to source approx.2000 fishplates to secure our recently delivered aluminium heavy duty rail from Malaysia. Does anyone have a good contact in the engineering world able to manufacture and supply these? Would it be cheaper overall to obtain pressed plates (requiring a die to be made)or CNC cut plates?

Replies To This Post

Peter Beevers

Topics: 3

Replies: 134

Posted: Tue 11th Jan 2011, 6:12pm

Bill,
At Swanley we use laser cut (flat, 3mm) plates with slightly oval holes (to allow for movement). I seem to remember that the last lot we had made came in at about 30p each, and I still have the .DXF file on my laptop so could get you a quote within 24 hours if you wanted it.
Regards
Peter

billdadswell

Posted: Wed 12th Jan 2011, 11:37am

Many thanks for your reply Peter. I would be most grateful if you could obtain a quote for me. Are your plates steel or aluminium and if steel are they plated in any way? As our rail is peculiar to us it is unlikely that our plates will match yours although we also have a.DXF file of our requirements which is held by Chris Dixon. His email address is cmdengineering@ymail.com. He has obtained some quotes which seem quite expensive as they are all about £1.50 each. Your help is much appreciated, thank you.

craiggluyas

Topics: 0

Replies: 10

Posted: Wed 12th Jan 2011, 6:34pm

Hi Bill, I've got a few contacts too which could supply them plated. If you can forward me the dxf to craig@gluyas.plus.com I'll get a few quotes!

Craig

Peter Beevers

Topics: 3

Replies: 134

Posted: Wed 12th Jan 2011, 8:58pm

Bill,
No, our aren't plated, just plain steel.
I'll email Chris for the DXF and get a quote against 2000 of them for you.
Regards
Peter

Mick

Topics: 7

Replies: 114

Posted: Sun 16th Jan 2011, 10:05pm

Bill, I appreciate all the help you are already getting, but if the rail is 27mm flat bottom then Cromar White can supply slotted, plated steel fishplates off the shelf. We use these at Sheffield.

billdadswell

Posted: Sun 16th Jan 2011, 11:13pm

Many thanks to all who have replied to this topic. I am pleased to say that thanks to Peter Beevers we have been able to source a supplier at a good price and in excellent time.

« Back to Track, Signals and Infrastructure Topics

Web design by Slingshot