« Back to Track, Signals and Infrastructure Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Fishplates for bar rail

yobba

Topics: 2

Replies: 5

Posted: Sun 20th Dec 2015, 8:02pm
Fishplates for bar rail

I am in the process of planning a garden railway to install next summer - about 100m length. I intend to use 10x20mm bar rail on plastic sleepers but I am unclear what fishplates to use given that the inside of the rail must be clear for the wheel flange. Can someone advise? Sorry if this is a very basic question but I have looked at past postings and didn't find an answer.

Replies To This Post

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Mon 21st Dec 2015, 8:41am

With bar rail use single fishplates on the outside. They can be 10x20 bar or thinner, as long as the top is not above the rail-head and your bolts do not encroach closer than around 8mm you should have no problems. Some folks use 25x25x3 angle with the flange underneath the rail to add stiffness, but as long as you ballast well it isn't essential. The tops will need grinding off to rail-head.

billhaywood

Topics: 17

Replies: 30

Posted: Mon 21st Dec 2015, 11:41am

I use 25x10thk bar then for joints use 20x20 or 25x25 angle depending what I got out of the scrap bins. These are cut to 3" lengths and welded outside and down under the rails, this will will help getting rails level to each other but take care to avoid short straight sections on curved tracked. G cramps can help you adjust for curvatures befrore welding.
20x10 bar is bit low for many locos. I've heard of a club railway used it and after time the rails bent down slightly between sleepers giving an uncomfortable ride as you can imagine. The club they were talking of going to 25x10. Of course, depends what you intend torun on it.

yobba

Topics: 2

Replies: 5

Posted: Mon 21st Dec 2015, 9:14pm

Thanks for really helpful replies - exactly what I needed to know. Thanks also for warning about the strength of 20x10. I plan for mostly light stuff for family & friends - but ambitions have a habit of rising!

« Back to Track, Signals and Infrastructure Topics

Web design by Slingshot