« Back to Track, Signals and Infrastructure Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Help needed for a newcomer

TNS

Topics: 1

Replies: 1

Posted: Thu 3rd Mar 2016, 10:08pm
Help needed for a newcomer

Hi. I have just got my first railway and I have got some questions I hope you can help me with.

1. I am laying track gannet, how deep should it be?
2. How tight can the curves be?
3. How steep can it climb?
4. Where can I get insurance from for charity days?
Hope you will be able to help, thanks in advance.
Regards Graham

Replies To This Post

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Fri 4th Mar 2016, 9:32am

Hi Graham, welcome to the Society. Some of those questions are difficult to answer completely due to the need for much more information, but I will make a start for you.

1/ I presume you mean the track-bed. This can be done in many ways to suit your particular situation. That means, what lies underneath, how heavy will your trains be, how often will they run, that sort of thing. If you need a trench to contain the ballast, then be sure to line it with a weed stopping membrane such as Terram, or similar.

2/ This will depend on what your rolling stock and locos are capable of, but after that, as a general rule keep the curves as large as possible.

3/ This will depend on how heavy your trains are; how powerful your loco is; how long will the grade be, and how much of a straight run have you got before it; are there any curves on it? Again a general rule is keep things as flat as possible.

4/ Insurance for your railway can be obtained from several brokers, but I suggest you check out our Magazine and on-line adverts.

Please come back with any further queries, especially any raised by my answers.

Bob Gray. (A.K.A. XZ, because I am an Ex-Editor of our Mag.)

TNS

Topics: 1

Replies: 1

Posted: Sat 5th Mar 2016, 9:04pm

Hi Thank you for taking the time to answer.
1/ you are correct i did mean track bed.I am using Terram as it will stop the grannet from sinking in to the mud. I asume the bed is there to level out the track and it allow water to pass through. I am aming for the bed to be about 100mm think under the slepers do you think that will be ok?
2&3/ I will use the scientific method 9try before I lay!
4/ I have looked on the site under insurance but there is noithing there.

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Sat 5th Mar 2016, 10:08pm

Graham, your thoughts of ballast in a trench are good. The depth of the trench and amount of ballast under the track should depend on the solidity of the ground underneath. i.e. the softer, the deeper. Tamped is good, and that should help the levelling. 100mmm is generally plenty, even in poor-ish conditions.

For 4/ If you struck out on the site, try the Mag, page 36, these are not the only suppliers.

An amount of laying a railway defies science, the rest can be just 'feel' and some 'suck it and see'. They used to call it common sense, when I was young.

« Back to Track, Signals and Infrastructure Topics

Web design by Slingshot