« Back to Track, Signals and Infrastructure Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

MAKING UP TRACK

HauteSaoneFrance

Topics: 27

Replies: 91

Posted: Fri 20th Mar 2015, 8:00pm
MAKING UP TRACK

I've recently been making up 6m lengths of straight 30 X 12 flat bar track by welding to transvers 300 x 50 X 5 flat bar at 250 centres using 3 No gauge formers to ensure accuracy. The made up track lengths will be laid to wooden sleepers and secure by coach screws and taper washers all this can be accomplished in the workshop on the bench at comfortable working height. I'm also buying approx. 2.5 tons of 27mm steel rail from Cromar White in 4 m lengths and proposing to make up a number of standard straights but also 8m radius curved sections, it occurred to me that these would also be best made up on the bench for ease of production and accuracy using the same method as above, anyone already done this?

Replies To This Post

frankcooper

Topics: 9

Replies: 57

Posted: Fri 20th Mar 2015, 9:54pm

All our track was built this way - we now have over 3/4 mile in regular use.

Mick

Topics: 7

Replies: 114

Posted: Sun 22nd Mar 2015, 8:27am

Abbeydale's track at Sheffield is all Cromar White 27mm on recycled plastic sleepers and built up 'on the bench' too. We use blocks of plywood as spacers between sleepers. There is sometimes slight difference in rail length which needs checking on straights. Curves of course leave you with staggered joints which you need to decide whether to have or not. All our curves are bench assembled, rail rolled to approx radius, but with one rail left loose. This enables final fitting on the ballast, including transitions into and out of the curve, before finally tightening up with track gauges in place. I hope this helps.

HauteSaoneFrance

Topics: 27

Replies: 91

Posted: Sun 22nd Mar 2015, 8:35pm

Thanks Frank and Mick, being rather new to this I'm grateful that I've got confirmation I'm doing it right. At the moment I'm making up 6 m straight track all of which will be embedded in concrete slabs some in the new Loco shed which doubles as a store for the machines and also a workshop so it's necessary to have a level floor, in other area it's to form level crossings for the tractor and eventually to cross the main access to the property where I need to ensure that heavy trucks can still have access to bring in concrete and ballast. Other track is to be Cromar White 27mm steel rail for authenticity and to avoid the expansion problems that could occur with aluminium in very hot weather as can happen here in the height of the summer.

« Back to Track, Signals and Infrastructure Topics

Web design by Slingshot