Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Minimum Radius for flat bottomed rail

nickm

Topics: 2

Replies: 3

Posted: Sat 14th Apr 2012, 11:55pm
Minimum Radius for flat bottomed rail

Hello gents

Our club is proposing using the Miniature Railway Supply Companies US 1 1/2" scale steel flat bottom rail for our new track extension. The rail is 12.6mm wide at the head, 24mm wide across the flat bottom, 25.3mm high and 2.8mm through the web.
I appreciate that we will need a rail bender (not a Jim Crow) to bend the rail but we need to get down to a 13m radius for the tightest curve.
Does anyone have any experience as to the minimum radius you can achieve with this rail without resorting to notching and the problems that would cause? You comments would be much appreciated.

Regards

NickM

Replies To This Post

Tim Martin

Topics: 1

Replies: 10

Posted: Sun 15th Apr 2012, 9:27am

Surely the best people to answer this question is the supplier themselves.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peter Beevers

Topics: 3

Replies: 134

Posted: Sun 15th Apr 2012, 9:46am

Nick,
I have some of this rail curved to approx 12m radius, which I did using MRSC's rail bender. It was a thorough workout, but curves to this radius well.
Peter

nickm

Topics: 2

Replies: 3

Posted: Sun 15th Apr 2012, 2:56pm

Thanks for the replies gents.

Tim - I asked on the forum because I find that suppliers in general will usually err on the side of caution. Hands on experience was what I was looking for.

Peter - Great, that's a relief! I have had a look on their website but can't find their rail bender. Can you remember roughly what it cost?

Thanks, Nick

Peter Beevers

Topics: 3

Replies: 134

Posted: Sun 15th Apr 2012, 6:13pm

Nick,
They don't sell rail benders, but speak to Jeff nicely and, when you collect your rail, he'll probably lend you his and you can curve it there and then.
Peter

« Back to Track, Signals and Infrastructure Topics

Web design by Slingshot