« Back to Track, Signals and Infrastructure Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Point Clearances

jambin

Topics: 1

Replies: 1

Posted: Wed 8th May 2013, 8:32am
Point Clearances

I am new to 7 1/4 and rebuilding a garden railway bought 2nd hand from Bristol. I am having trouble with the checkrail clearances on points. Is there a Society source of information giving standard wheel dimensions especially the back to back measurement.
I am currently setting up a Wye point, 30ft radius and need the advised spacing between the frog/crossing casting and the edge of the check rail
Also needed are the recommended tolerances on track spacing and the setting of check rail clearances. I currently use 7 1/4" on straights and upto 7 3/8" on radii. Does this apply to points?
Any help gratefully received

Replies To This Post

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Wed 8th May 2013, 8:51am

Look under the section on here in "About Us" where you will find the wheel and track data, including check rails.

The extra 1/8" you are allowing on curves is called Gauge Widening, and is really only necessary on sharper bends say less than 40ft rad, but will do no harm elsewhere.

jambin

Topics: 1

Replies: 1

Posted: Thu 9th May 2013, 9:06am

Hi Xz. Many thanks for the very quick response. It is easy when you know how or in this case where. I have now retrieved exactly the information needed and can correct my spacing error.

« Back to Track, Signals and Infrastructure Topics

Web design by Slingshot