« Back to Track, Signals and Infrastructure Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Rail Types

markswindells

Topics: 3

Replies: 4

Posted: Fri 10th Dec 2010, 3:53pm
Rail Types

I'm looking to buy some rail and have the choice between 21mm (1kg/m)and 3kg/m rail. I'll be using upto and including Tinkerbell size/weights and would like advice on whether 21mm rail will be large/strong enough, my initial research is pointing me towards 3kg/m but obviously it's a lot more expensive!
Any advice greatfully received.

Replies To This Post

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Fri 10th Dec 2010, 7:19pm

Mark, A little more information would have made the answer more accurate. Running a Tink on 21mm rail is quite feasible, but it would depend on how much running you intend, how long it would last. If you intend to run a lot then I would go for the 3kg(6lb/yrd) as it's substantial enough for most locos. The quality of your foundation, and sleeper spacings, would also have a bearing.

franksidebottom

Topics: 4

Replies: 28

Posted: Sat 11th Dec 2010, 10:25am

Hi Mark. Xz's advice is spot-on. The lighter rail is likely to prove a false economy in the long run, requiring more sleepers and fixings for support, and generally more maintenance. The heavier rail would be a sound investment, with the bonus of 'peace of mind'! Good luck with your project (remember also the Editor is always on the look-out for articles for the 'News')!!

andyhiggins

Topics: 1

Replies: 9

Posted: Sun 12th Dec 2010, 9:30pm

Hiya at high legh I use 12 x 20mm Black bar. It works well especially when making pointwork!

Andy Higgins

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Tue 14th Dec 2010, 9:21am

Andy is right, black bar is quite adequate for most uses, but it isn't as kind to the wheel profiles as proper rail section (or as good looking). If running a lot I would stick to 6lb/yd.

Graham Burhouse

Topics: 4

Replies: 13

Posted: Tue 14th Dec 2010, 6:12pm

We use 30 x 12 flat bar with PNP chairs. If you get the ones canted 3 degress it overcomes the problem with the wheel profiles. We have been using the vertical ones for eight years and have had no wheel problems. This weight will take most engines and is very cost effective. You get 355 metres to the tonne and should be able to buy 1tonne for about £700

markswindells

Topics: 3

Replies: 4

Posted: Sun 19th Dec 2010, 1:35pm

Great, thanks for all the advice. As soon as the winter freeze is over I'll get ordering!

« Back to Track, Signals and Infrastructure Topics

Web design by Slingshot