« Back to Track, Signals and Infrastructure Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Recycled plastic sleepers

daveholden

Topics: 1

Replies: 7

Posted: Thu 28th Feb 2013, 11:05pm
Recycled plastic sleepers

I'm about to commence a track upgrade and was considering using recycled plastic for sleepers. Any comments, good or bad, cheap suppliers etc welcomed.

Replies To This Post

Mick

Topics: 7

Replies: 114

Posted: Fri 1st Mar 2013, 8:56am

Hi Dave, Sheffield SMEE has replaced all its welded steel bar track over the past few years with 27mm flat bottomed rail on recycled plastic sleepers from Cromar White. Contrary to some comments I have seen they are completely fireproof and have not deteriorated due to UV rays.
Hi Dave, Sheffield SMEE has replaced all its welded steel bar track over the past few years with 27mm flat bottomed rail on recycled plastic sleepers from Cromar White. Contrary to some comments I have seen they are completely fireproof and have not deteriorated due to UV rays.

daveholden

Posted: Fri 1st Mar 2013, 1:52pm

Hi Mick,thanks for your reply. So are they actual Cromar White sleepers or did you cut up your own? Did you use the same for pointwork?
Dave

brianbaker

Replies: 5

Posted: Fri 1st Mar 2013, 5:17pm

Greetings, I have been involved in the replacement of wooden sleepers at both the Norwich Club, and Parklands railway, Hemsby.
In both cases, we took delivery of 3 meter lengths of 50 X 25 mm recycled plastic & cut our own.
We found that turbo coach screws 6.0 X 25mm from screwfix held the rail well, but needed care to avoid over torqueing the screws & stripping the thread.
Again we used a short predrilled hole about 10 mm deep with a 3 mm drill.
We found that TDP Ltd of Wirksworth DE4 4BG tel 01629 820011 provided a good product.
Try contacting Linda in the sales office for a sample.
Regards
Brian Baker

Mick

Posted: Fri 1st Mar 2013, 6:17pm

Hi Dave. We bought the strips and cut them to length, including for pointwork. I agree with Brian Baker about torque - we actually drill right through the sleepers (using a jig) to release any swarf or even the compressed air produced when fixing the screws. Our fixings are also from Cromar White but you can obviously source your own.
Hi Dave. We bought the strips and cut them to length, including for pointwork. I agree with Brian Baker about torque - we actually drill right through the sleepers (using a jig) to release any swarf or even the compressed air produced when fixing the screws. Our fixings are also from Cromar White but you can obviously source your own.

daveholden

Posted: Fri 1st Mar 2013, 7:34pm

Thanks for the replies, nothing realy adverse about plastic sleepers so far.
Nice bit of pointwork there Mick, are the crossings built up from the 27mm rail? or bar stock?

Mick

Posted: Fri 1st Mar 2013, 9:44pm

I drew up the crossing to fit the site in CAD and then had the three layers laser cut and then welded them up. The pointwork uses Cromar White pre-machined stock rails and blades and Tru Arc frogs which are similar in construction to the crossing. The orginal steel bar rail crossing on wooden sleepers is underneath on the photo, the rest is 27mm flat bottom rail on plastic.

brianbaker

Posted: Sat 2nd Mar 2013, 2:47pm

greetings again,
here is a pic taken thursday, which gives a good idea of whats possible.
Apart from the slip, track to the top right in also new, and that at top left awaits replacement.
regards
BB
greetings again,
here is a pic taken thursday, which gives a good idea of whats possible.
Apart from the slip, track to the top right in also new, and that at top left awaits replacement.
regards
BB

Mick

Posted: Sat 2nd Mar 2013, 4:55pm

Nice work, Brian. I wish I only had 7¼" gauge to work with!

daveholden

Posted: Sat 2nd Mar 2013, 10:40pm

Very nice Brian,on the single slip have you made the crossings up yourself? I see there appears to be a cast crossing on the point in the foreground, how do you rate these?.

Mick, am I correct in thinking you have a laminate in effect? are they completly welded round the joints or how have you sealed them to stop them rusting from within.

daveholden

Posted: Sat 2nd Mar 2013, 10:46pm

Bit off topic here, Mick, with the 27mm rail what is the heaviest locos that you allow to run, or axel load?

Mick

Posted: Sun 3rd Mar 2013, 8:09am

The crossing is in effect a laminate. The parts are not welded all around, just where necessary to hold it securely together. We have had no corrosion in the frogs since replacement started about five years ago. Cromar White galvanise their products by the way. If we did have corrosion some time in the future I would have some more laser cut and welded up. I think screws and washers would have had to have been replaced before anything like that occurred though. We have no weight restrictions. Tinkerbell types run regularly. Carriage axle loading may be higher than some locos. In the foreground of the photo is the old 20 x 10 mm welded bar rail on slotted wooden sleepers which we have replaced. That old track coped (just) with Tinkerbells with the sleepers at 5" intervals.
The crossing is in effect a laminate. The parts are not welded all around, just where necessary to hold it securely together. We have had no corrosion in the frogs since replacement started about five years ago. Cromar White galvanise their products by the way. If we did have corrosion some time in the future I would have some more laser cut and welded up. I think screws and washers would have had to have been replaced before anything like that occurred though. We have no weight restrictions. Tinkerbell types run regularly. Carriage axle loading may be higher than some locos. In the foreground of the photo is the old 20 x 10 mm welded bar rail on slotted wooden sleepers which we have replaced. That old track coped (just) with Tinkerbells with the sleepers at 5" intervals.

ronmitchell

Topics: 0

Replies: 1

Posted: Sun 3rd Mar 2013, 8:00pm

Thought you might be interested to see yard progress at Hemsby today.
Thought you might be interested to see yard progress at Hemsby today.

brianbaker

Posted: Mon 4th Mar 2013, 1:37pm

greetings All, thanks for the kind words.
re the single slip frogs, these were fabricated from 21mm steel rail, and made by Ron Mitchell, who submitted the pic showing the slip installed, viewed from the opposite direction.
We used cast frogs from Jeff Price on the points, as well as his slide plates, and railretaining clips and switch rail brackets on the points and the slip. This has resulted in a very strong pointwork. They are visible in Rons Picture.
We intend to operate the points pneumatically, to avoid the trip hazard of yard point levers.
regards
Brian

daveholden

Posted: Mon 4th Mar 2013, 9:26pm

Certainly some nice work going on at both Hemsby and Sheffield. All of my track is laid in 3/4" balast and i've found that 2" thick sleepers work best for me, thinner ones just seem to work there way out of the balast.
The reason for the upgrade is to be able to run a Tinkerbell, also some of the track is over 25 years old now, so all your comments are very helpful in the decision process for both sleepers and rail sections.

« Back to Track, Signals and Infrastructure Topics

Web design by Slingshot