« Back to Track, Signals and Infrastructure Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Recycled plastic sleepers

rogerbrown

Topics: 6

Replies: 35

Posted: Sun 19th Jan 2014, 10:18pm
Recycled plastic sleepers

Can anyone advise what the best source of recycled plastic sleepers are. We are considering using them on our proposed new extension and would be looking for a sleeper around 80mm by 60mm by 500mm.

I know that some clubs use them but have experienced issues of them catching fire when hot ash is dropped on them, so we want to avoid those, as wooden ones just seem to char as the hot ember soon gets cold enough not to do any further damage.

Thanks

Roger Brown
Member 1066

Replies To This Post

MartynRedfearn

Topics: 16

Replies: 107

Posted: Mon 20th Jan 2014, 11:29am

Roger we have had some problems with burning, we have now bought PNP sleepers which are not really much more expensive and of course do not burn, both recycled and PNP are on this photo.  Overall I would say PNP are better they are lighter and the screws seem to held better
Roger we have had some problems with burning, we have now bought PNP sleepers which are not really much more expensive and of course do not burn, both recycled and PNP are on this photo. Overall I would say PNP are better they are lighter and the screws seem to held better

Mick

Topics: 7

Replies: 114

Posted: Mon 20th Jan 2014, 7:37pm

Hi Roger,
At Sheffield we have used Cromar White recycled plastic. They don't burn, just get slightly pock marked if hot ash is dropped on them. I think we were one of the first club's to use them. I've posted a few photos of them in the past.

Mick

Topics: 7

Replies: 114

Posted: Mon 20th Jan 2014, 7:37pm

Hi Roger,
At Sheffield we have used Cromar White recycled plastic. They don't burn, just get slightly pock marked if hot ash is dropped on them. I think we were one of the first club's to use them. I've posted a few photos of them in the past.

« Back to Track, Signals and Infrastructure Topics

Web design by Slingshot