« Back to Track, Signals and Infrastructure Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Starting work

HauteSaoneFrance

Topics: 27

Replies: 91

Posted: Mon 8th Jun 2015, 8:24pm
Starting work

Well the Haute Saone garden railway is at long last underway, first task to create a level 360 degree loop, first hurdle at lowering ground level by 2 metres so as to create a 9.14 m radius 180 degree turn encountered boulders and more boulders at 1.5 m depth, the Takeuchi TB125 3 ton excavator is powerful for it's size but it was severely struggling and so was I in temps of up to 40c last week. I nearly decided to get a big machine in to get the job done but it was the weekend so persevered with my own machine and eventually won.

The removed material has been dumpered to a higher level where a secondary track may eventually be established.

Replies To This Post

HauteSaoneFrance

Posted: Fri 12th Jun 2015, 8:25am

Another interesting point in my quest to establish my garden railway without having unlimited room and having also to bear in mind that a main water pipe crosses my property from low to high level ground and I must avoid digging this up or reducing it's depth of cover, Oh for a big flat field with no services crossing. The main loop will now pass through the loco shed/workshop which is quite large at 12m X 8 m It will be a bit like the main line at Lille Northern France where the Eurostar and other trains pass under Lille Europe station. Must remember to open the doors each end when running !

HauteSaoneFrance

Posted: Wed 16th Sep 2015, 6:36pm

Another update and a realisation that despite my past experiences of civils work when it's just me planning, surveying, putting in levels, driving the excavator and dumper and the necessary final shovelling and raking things don't progress mighty fast when it's mostly just me doing all the aforementioned especially in heat up to 45c. But the concrete base for the shed all 25 cube metres of it is finished so ready to start erecting the system steel framed building when I get back to Haute Saone. The track panels are still in a stack with not a metre yet laid and winter is on it's way

George Coles

Topics: 19

Replies: 90

Posted: Fri 18th Sep 2015, 8:07am

Are you taking any pictures as you go? Did you know that you can add pictures to messages here in the forum? (I've added a pic of my railcar for fun 8-))

Looking forward to the winter? At least it will be cooler than 45C!!

Best wishes
George C
Are you taking any pictures as you go? Did you know that you can add pictures to messages here in the forum? (I've added a pic of my railcar for fun 8-))

Looking forward to the winter? At least it will be cooler than 45C!!

Best wishes
George C

HauteSaoneFrance

Posted: Fri 9th Oct 2015, 9:56pm

Thanks George, Up to now it's been lots of earthmoving and also the concrete base has been completed for the new 12m X 8 M shed. Will take pics and post them as soon as I get back to France on 20th Oct.

HauteSaoneFrance

Posted: Fri 9th Oct 2015, 10:03pm

A new question. I've already made up several sections of straight track but now wish to make up curved sections. I'm opting for a 30ft (9.14m) radius to standardise on as far as possible. I believe the radius is centre track? In reality with such a small amount of curvature is there any need to work out the amount of curving needed for outside and inside rails?

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Fri 9th Oct 2015, 10:30pm

30ft radius is fine for a minimum, but your curves should be laid out as required. Working to a standard radius is a bit like laying out model train tracks that are supplied as a fixed radius.

The difference between inner and outer rail is of little consequence for rolling, as there is more than enough flexibility when setting them on the sleepers.

Mick

Topics: 7

Replies: 114

Posted: Mon 12th Oct 2015, 3:20pm

As Xz says, they will adjust to the required radius easily. A note for steel rail users: due to the different hardness of individual rails after hot rolling and subsequent cooling they will end up with differing radii after rolling at the same setting.

HauteSaoneFrance

Posted: Mon 12th Oct 2015, 6:09pm

Thanks ZX and Mick for the replies, another question not related, in part of the site there is an opportunity to establish a straight run of about 180 metres but with a height difference of approx. 3 metres end to end because of a water main running across this line at about 60 metres from the high end it may not be possible to attain an even gradient because of reducing the cover depth to the pipe, what are the implications of starting off with say a level track for the first 60 metres, then there would be a choice of falling rapidly (3 metres) for another 60 metres (1 in 20) then levelling out again for the final 60 metres or as an alternative have a constant gradient for the whole of the remaining 120 metres (1 in 40) ?

Mick

Topics: 7

Replies: 114

Posted: Tue 13th Oct 2015, 8:15am

A gradient of 1:20 is not impossible - I believe 1:18 is the steepest adhesion railway in Europe (the Flam Line, Norway) but my preference would be to ease the gradient for the whole length available. It all depends on motive power and weight of the train you are pulling and of course on weather conditions.

HauteSaoneFrance

Posted: Tue 13th Oct 2015, 7:33pm

Thanks Mick, At the moment I'm not sure about the depth below surface level of the water pipe, on another part of the site it was up to 2 metres deep where I want to cross it I can dig down until finding the marker then determine how much below the marker it is then back fill so it has 1 metre cover for frost precaution the will then determine my gradient up to that point, if I'm in luck the gradient could be as little as about 1 in 60, I take your point about evening the gradient as far as possible over the whole length rather than a roller coaster going into flats. than

HauteSaoneFrance

Posted: Sun 10th Apr 2016, 11:03am

Well the big new shed (96 sq m) is now a reality it's not just a loco shed but the two end doors will allow multiple tracks to enter, pic atached
Well the big new shed (96 sq m) is now a reality it's not just a loco shed but the two end doors will allow multiple tracks to enter, pic atached

HauteSaoneFrance

Posted: Sun 10th Apr 2016, 11:03am

Well the big new shed (96 sq m) is now a reality it's not just a loco shed but the two end doors will allow multiple tracks to enter, pic attached.

OOPS No pic managed earlier to load a wrong pic, deleted it and tried loading the correct one with no success, not sure how to make my pics smaller?

MartynRedfearn

Topics: 16

Replies: 107

Posted: Fri 15th Apr 2016, 10:21am

You need to resize, if Windows right click,edit and then resize for web

« Back to Track, Signals and Infrastructure Topics

Web design by Slingshot