Forum Options

« Back to Track, Signals and Infrastructure Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Suppliers of colour light signals and/or lenses?

tsgrTom

Topics: 1

Replies: 0

Posted: Tue 16th Aug 2016, 1:00am

I'm currently trying to come up with a design for around 7 or 8 new 3 aspect colour light signals for my club's track to replace old worn out signals. I believe our current signals were purchased many, many years ago from Parkside (this is what others have told me). They are the same as those at Conwy Valley and Brookside (I believe), except the lenses have since been replaced with home made LED clusters powered by a constant current source.

I have done a lot of research into new ideas for signals but wondered if anyone out there has any of their own thoughts on possible designs. The idea is for each signal head to cost no more than £50 (give or take) and to be powered by 24 volts or less. Scaleway signals look very nice however they are over budget. Ride on railways don't make 3 aspect signals and also are too light duty for club use. I am aware that the Engineers Emporium make signal heads too.

However, I am moving more towards home made signals. I am having difficulties sourcing possible materials for the optics of the signal. It would be nice to have proper lenses on each aspect rather than, say, a bare LED cluster such as those that can be purchased at Maplin etc. Scaleway Signals sell coloured lenses but each one costs around £10 which is a little expensive when each signal would require three. I have seen that bullet light lenses from motorcycles can be used (just like on Ride on Railways signals) however they are a tad small and have an annoying notch in the side...meh.

Rambling over, I just want to see what others have done. Thanks.

P.S. I have attached a photograph of our current, worn-out signals if of any interest.

Replies To This Post

MartynRedfearn

Topics: 16

Replies: 107

Posted: Tue 16th Aug 2016, 12:44pm

At BHME we use these very successfully have both red and green in, in the main we use two one red and one green. We have had one failure and simply swopped them around so the failed one is now inuse for the other colour http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kingbright-26mm-LED-Cluster-Red-and-Green-/121378439740?hash=item1c42b8023c:g:8XQAAOxy8HlSblOp

MartynRedfearn

Topics: 16

Replies: 107

Posted: Tue 16th Aug 2016, 2:33pm

Not a good photo but there is a set on the bottom of the semaphore signals, for use when the semaphores are not out
Not a good photo but there is a set on the bottom of the semaphore signals, for use when the semaphores are not out

malhowlett

Topics: 1

Replies: 1

Posted: Sun 13th Nov 2016, 10:28am

I'm building a 7 1/4 gauge railway around our garden and have just had a look at the Kingsbright 26mm led red/green cluster lamps. Can someone explain how these are powered, as they show 12v for one colour and 16v for the other, also what type of power supply, I assume it would be a step down transformer. Regards Mal

ivanhewlett

Topics: 8

Replies: 53

Posted: Sun 13th Nov 2016, 5:45pm

Hi Mal

There is a bit more to using these units than just a transformer, but don't worry it is acievable.

The clue is in the fact that LED's require a certain current rather than specific voltage, in this case 30mA. A constant current feed will be required (which typically will then produce the 12 and 16 volts stated when in use).

The selected voltage that you wish to use, perhaps 24 volts dc, can then be limited through correct resistor selection to deliver the desired 30mA drive current. Alternatively there are constant current driver devices that could be used.

Essentially though these lamps should not be directly connected to a voltage supply as they will be very bright (briefly) and then fail.

Hope this is at least of some help ?

Kind Regards, Ivan (1065)

« Back to Track, Signals and Infrastructure Topics

Web design by Slingshot