Sign In above to begin adding replies.

The Erskine Tramway 7-1/2"

Mike

Topics: 2

Replies: 20

Posted: Mon 14th Nov 2011, 10:15pm
The Erskine Tramway 7-1/2"

The Erskine Tramway 7-1/2
I thought that some of you might be interested in the 7-1/2" gauge "Heywoodesq" Estate Railway that I'm building on our Property in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Here is an overall view of the South end of the line, taken from the roof of our earth-sheltered home.

I've just completed the block retaining wall, and I have about 200 feet of track built.

Best,

Mike Decker
Erskine Tramway 7-1/2"

Replies To This Post

Mike

Posted: Mon 14th Nov 2011, 10:19pm

Here is a photo of the "top end" of the line as it is.  After I finished the retaining wall, I put down weed block fabric and sub-ballast and then laid out some rail and a set of points to get an idea of the next stage of track laying.  The main line will go around towards the right, and the straight track will lead to a "dock" area, where visitor's stock can be unloaded.

Best,

Mike
Here is a photo of the "top end" of the line as it is. After I finished the retaining wall, I put down weed block fabric and sub-ballast and then laid out some rail and a set of points to get an idea of the next stage of track laying. The main line will go around towards the right, and the straight track will lead to a "dock" area, where visitor's stock can be unloaded.

Best,

Mike

Mike

Posted: Mon 14th Nov 2011, 10:23pm

Here is a photo of the half-scale Heywood Point Lever castings I had made to my drawings.

Best,

Mike
Here is a photo of the half-scale Heywood Point Lever castings I had made to my drawings.

Best,

Mike

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Tue 15th Nov 2011, 9:35am

Nice one Mike. Keep up the good work!

nomis

Replies: 17

Posted: Mon 21st Nov 2011, 9:24am

Looks great - keep the pictures coming!

What rail section have you gone with?

Mike

Posted: Mon 21st Nov 2011, 11:51am

Thanks, fellows.....

I'm using 1" aluminum rail from Cannonball, in Oklahoma.

Here's a view looking towards the ultimate destination..."The Butts", in the center of the photo.  It is about 250 yards from the "end of wall" :>)  I might also run a branch back around to the right, around the North end of the "hump" and out to the front yard.  When the late Rodney Weaver visited in 1978, he suggested that I build the railway up the face of the "hill" behind our mobile home, using Darjeeling Himalayan methods.  Of course, we didn't have the land that I'm using now, at the time.  The "north 20" is much more flat :>)

Best,

Mike
Thanks, fellows.....

I'm using 1" aluminum rail from Cannonball, in Oklahoma.

Here's a view looking towards the ultimate destination..."The Butts", in the center of the photo. It is about 250 yards from the "end of wall" :>) I might also run a branch back around to the right, around the North end of the "hump" and out to the front yard. When the late Rodney Weaver visited in 1978, he suggested that I build the railway up the face of the "hill" behind our mobile home, using Darjeeling Himalayan methods. Of course, we didn't have the land that I'm using now, at the time. The "north 20" is much more flat :>)

Best,

Mike

nomis

Replies: 17

Posted: Thu 24th Nov 2011, 1:10pm

Looks like a great site to build on, what length of run are you expecting to end up with?

Mike

Posted: Thu 24th Nov 2011, 2:22pm

Depending on where I actually go.......perhaps as much as 1000 feet. I may swing around the rear of the backstop, and down alongside the neighbor's drive, to make a loop for just "riding trains" around :>)

I see that Google updated their photo of our "place" this fall, so here's an overhead view: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=43.435423,-103.537903&spn=0.003732,0.006856&t=h&z=17&vpsrc=6

The Shop Terminal is at the bottom, and the "Butts" are the light coloured spot near the top, South of the tree line. If you zoom in, the wall and the tracks are visible. The property extends up to the "road" at the North end, which is the abandoned BN (CB&Q) Hot Springs Branch formation.

Best,

Mike

« Back to Track, Signals and Infrastructure Topics

Web design by Slingshot