Forum Options

« Back to Track, Signals and Infrastructure Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

What are the components of an effective home layout?

nickburton

Topics: 4

Replies: 6

Posted: Fri 25th Mar 2011, 1:59pm
What are the components of an effective home layout?

I am very much a newcomer to 7.25 and negotiating putting a line around my house. It would be very helpful to know what components/features/functions other people find of value? My initial thoughts are a 400 foot circle to run narrow gauge based short trains on 30 feet curves. Rail access to the garage/workshop, and some covered rooling stock storage, also access to load stock on to a car/trailer. Garden is nearly flat. Some things like signals could be added later, but others need space or incorporating into the design. Ideas much appreciated.
Thanks, Nick

Replies To This Post

georgecoles

Topics: 19

Replies: 90

Posted: Fri 25th Mar 2011, 8:06pm

I feel the opportunity to 'go somewhere' adds interest. That is to say, if you have a round and round layout, try to fit in a branch line to a terminus.
Just my pen'orth
George

doncottle

Topics: 1

Replies: 31

Posted: Fri 25th Mar 2011, 10:55pm

I agree with the last comment from George Coles. I occasionally run on a couple of small lines, & feel that its the various sidings etc. which can make even the smallest layouts more interesting. Even a tunnel can provide variety in the simplest layout, I suggest trying a siding (or possibly two), behind a couple of trees/bushes. Maybe have a spur/triange involving a small terminal platform if you have room.

nickburton

Topics: 4

Replies: 6

Posted: Thu 31st Mar 2011, 7:52am

Thanks for the ideas, I will certainly try and fit in a terminous somewhere. Also thanks to Frank Sidebottom who suggested a turntable amongst other things. I think that might be easier to fit in than a triangle much as I like them. Any other ideas much appreciated.

Thanks again

Nick

« Back to Track, Signals and Infrastructure Topics

Web design by Slingshot