« Back to Track, Signals and Infrastructure Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Wiring signals

vulcanworks

Topics: 15

Replies: 21

Posted: Mon 27th Nov 2017, 12:23pm
Wiring signals

I'm having one of those moments today where I just can't figure the logic on how to wire a 2-colour signal at a station.

Basically I have 250ft of track laid for a Santa Special at a local Garden Centre. I'll run passengers from the station to the Grotto, and then reverse empty back to the station. So when in the station, the signal should be green. As I pass it should go red and stay red until I return into the station, at which point it should go green.

I know I should have 2 sections, one for the station, one for the mainline so to speak, but for the life of me I can't work out the wiring, and I know it's really simple..ish.

Has anyone got a wiring diagram or something I could get my head round ? Thanks :-)

Replies To This Post

Mick

Topics: 7

Replies: 120

Posted: Mon 27th Nov 2017, 1:13pm

Can I suggest you google 'signal wiring for model railways'? There's loads of diagrams and advice on the internet - particularly useful are 'images'. I think one of them on the internet might solve your question - scale is irrelevant! At Abbeydale we have four aspect signals working from electronics intended for N gauge signals triggered by detectors.

AlanETM

Topics: 2

Replies: 2

Posted: Fri 8th Dec 2017, 9:24pm

Yes you will need two track detection circuits. These will be either continuous track circuits or treadles.
Assuming continuous track circuits the control table for the signals is:
 Track A  Track B   Signal
                     R   G
   T                 T
             T           T
Track A being the long track and track B the station track

A two relay circuit will achieve what you need: See the diagram.

Note this circuit is not entirely fail safe as the A detection has its relay energised on detection so a failure in detection will not put the RED on. To make it safe the relay must be energised in the non detected state so any failure will set the signal to RED. But as you have a simple short track layout with one loco operating it should not be a major concern.
Yes you will need two track detection circuits. These will be either continuous track circuits or treadles.
Assuming continuous track circuits the control table for the signals is:
Track A Track B Signal
R G
T T
T T
Track A being the long track and track B the station track

A two relay circuit will achieve what you need: See the diagram.

Note this circuit is not entirely fail safe as the A detection has its relay energised on detection so a failure in detection will not put the RED on. To make it safe the relay must be energised in the non detected state so any failure will set the signal to RED. But as you have a simple short track layout with one loco operating it should not be a major concern.

AlanETM

Topics: 2

Replies: 2

Posted: Fri 8th Dec 2017, 9:26pm

Looks like the formatting when posting gets changed so the control table is nonsensical. Not to worry its so simple as you have described it.

« Back to Track, Signals and Infrastructure Topics

Web design by Slingshot